Guitar Strings - Ideas

Decorating By turnerdmann Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm by izzy1953

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

I just received a call from from a Mother making her son a guitar cake. She wanted to use liquorish for strings but could not find any. We are in a very rural area. She was asking for ideas, I thought Twisters but she said they were not long enough. Needs 16 inches. She is not familiar with fondant or gum paste looking for easier method. Any ideas?? I know I am a "push over" but I would like to be able to offer some suggestions. Thanks for any input.

5 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

I've heard of some using dental floss and then covering the lines with royal icing. Sometimes the craft stores have thin round wire looking trims also. Happy hunting and good luck!!! I always use gumpaste in a gun , I know that's not possible with her though.

Momof5Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5Angels Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

I used uncooked spaghetti painted with Wilton's silver dust. You have to use I believe it was like 3 and a half pieces for each string but it worked in a pinch. I tried to use real strings and I couldn't get them to stay right so had to compromise at the last minute. You can view a pic in my gallery.

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, I appreciate your help, I'll call and pass them on. Both sound good. icon_biggrin.gif

Darlene

Starlitpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starlitpink Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 6

I have just piped strings on for a cartoon like guitar, ie Hannah Montana cake, but for a Les Paul guitar grooms cake, I used jewelry wire, purchased at Wal-Mart, cheap, but looks realistic. Just remember to tell them they are not edible.

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 6

i have made two guitars...........i use silver quilting thread...looks realistic but is really easy to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%