I Just Didn't Like It!!!! Pls Help Me!

Decorating By Momof5Angels Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm by Brooke377

Momof5Angels Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 13

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Ok so maybe I am just crazy and I KNOW that I am totally new at this but I made my first batch of "real" buttercream last night following Edna's recipe (who I adore!) but I just hated it! It tasted awful! I thought it would be better once we got it one the cake but it didn't. I will say that I really like how much better it looked as far as smoothness on the cake but even my fiance' said it wasn't half as good as the last few cakes I've done. Which I have basically just used "canned" frosting. I know. I know. I thought I was really going to be able to venture out here and now I'm just crushed! I followed the directions exactly so I don't think there was anything there that I screwed up. But I need some encouragement and some suggestions from you guys on what I can do to first of all make myself feel better and second figure out how to fix the whole taste issue. This whole cake (which was all for practice) turned out to be a disaster! I was trying some new things with stacking and tiers and NOTHING seemed to work out! I still have soooooo much to learn. [/i]

12 replies
Wesha Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof5Angels

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Ok so maybe I am just crazy and I KNOW that I am totally new at this but I made my first batch of "real" buttercream last night following Edna's recipe (who I adore!) but I just hated it! It tasted awful! I thought it would be better once we got it one the cake but it didn't. I will say that I really like how much better it looked as far as smoothness on the cake but even my fiance' said it wasn't half as good as the last few cakes I've done. Which I have basically just used "canned" frosting. I know. I know. I thought I was really going to be able to venture out here and now I'm just crushed! I followed the directions exactly so I don't think there was anything there that I screwed up. But I need some encouragement and some suggestions from you guys on what I can do to first of all make myself feel better and second figure out how to fix the whole taste issue. This whole cake (which was all for practice) turned out to be a disaster! I was trying some new things with stacking and tiers and NOTHING seemed to work out! I still have soooooo much to learn. [/i]

Never give up, if you truly want to do this. I have been decorating for almost 2 years and I am still not a pro; probably never will be but the key is to practice, practice, practice. Most never get it right on the 1st, 2nd,or even 3rd time around. Try the receipe again. Did you use all Crisco or half Crisco and half butter? Keep searching until you find what works for you.

Benisha

pattycakesnj Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 13

try indydebi's buttercream, is is really good( recipe on cc)

sadsmile Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 13

I Like how an all shortning recipe works (once you are practiced at it) but I don't like how it tastes at all. I like a half butter half shorning icing best for versatility and taste. Keep trying!

KathysCC Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 13

Don't give up...look at the recipe and examine what you didn't like. If it was too greasy, try a recipe with less shortening. If it was bland, try adding some different flavorings. I've tried tons of buttercream recipes and found a couple that I really like and some I don't.

Everyone has different tastes and I've noticed that even different regions of the country seem to prefer some icings over others, so you have to find the one that is right for you and your tastes.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 13

Do you know how many buttercream recipes I have tried? I don't even know icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I've lost count. I tried all the buttercream recipes that I had in my cookbooks, and then once I got the internet, I tried all the ones I could find online. It's hot and humid where I live and it was hard to find a buttercream that tasted good but would hold up to the weather here. I finally settled on Indydebi's buttercream, which isn't greasy like the Wilton recipe.

You'll know when you've found the right recipe because you'll get used to it, and when you taste a cake with canned frosting, it will taste like sweet chemicals to you.

txnonnie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 13

Don't give up. Agreed...try indydebi's buttercream recipe. I do use a little butter in the recipe. I like that flavor in it; some don't. I don't put much for it changes the consistency. I would even suggest the Wilton recipe to try and see if it works for you.

Hang in there, it will come to you eventually.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 13

The day I tried making a meringue buttercream is the day the shortening based recipes went right outta the window! SMBC, IMBC...give one of those a shot. For really hot weather, I go back to a hi ratio (not Crisco) only recipe.

allycatt Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 13

I use a simple recipe I found online at a recipe site.

It's:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 butter, softened
1t vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar
2T milk

People seem to like it and I can't keep the kids from scooping spoonfuls.

Mme_K Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 13

Try Indydebi's icing. I've had not but compliments about the taste and it survives extremely well in hot weather. IMBC is also terrific if you want a non-crusting icing with a totally different taste. Sorry you had such a bad time with your cake. It sounds like some of the days I've had, too. One thing I have learned...... when you experiment with something new, just experiment with ONE thing at a time..... far less frustrating. Good luck!
thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 13

I only use butter, sugar and liquid (flavoring, milk, whatever) and I can't complain. My DS eats if off the spoon.

Momof5Angels Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! After many frustrating thoughts yesterday I have gotten over my nightmare! I am not giving up and I have found several different recipes (thanks to you all) that I am going to try. I am confident that I will find something that will work for me! Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Brooke377 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 13

I really like Wilton's recipe for buttercream frosting:

1 C. shortening
2 TBS. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond flavor
1/8 tsp. butter flavor

Beat these ingredients well then add

4 C. powder sugar
1 TBS. Meringue Powder
a dash of salt (optional)