Tired Of Trying To Make Them Level!!

Decorating By kccliff Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 10:09am by zdebssweetsj

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 11

I have always turned my cakes upside down out of the pan. I then flip it over and cut it so it's flat and use the bottom of the cake as the top. Is there a way to cook the cakes so they are flat or closer to it?? I've used parchment paper but that doesn't always work.

Is there a different temp for different sizes??

Also has anyone used the Wilton White White in fondant to make it whiter?

Thank you in advance.
Karen

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 11

I bake all of my cakes at 325, with a flower nail upside down in the middle of the pan. That helps a lot with getting it to bake more evenly. I also use the WASC recipe but replace part of the water with liquid coffee creamer and I've noticed that makes a big difference in how much I have to cut off when I level it. I've gotten to the point where the thickest part of the piece I cut off is no more than 1/2"...my family is disappointed because there aren't as many cake scraps for them anymore.

I haven't tried the White-white in fondant, but I was reading in another post this weekend that the more you knead MMF, the whiter it will get. I'm going to try that next time, I make my MMF in the kitchen aid so it doesn't usually need much kneading before I use it, but I'm going to try it and see how much it lightens up.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 11

I use the wilton bake even strips and my cakes come out very flat. I also use a flower nail upside down for any thing over 8" and I bake at 325 degrees.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 11

I've been baking mine at 300* and they come out great!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 11

I put flower nails in my 6" layers last night, and they came out great. I had used them in larger cakes, but not the small. My oven is at about 325.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

Lower the oven temp

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 11

My cakes don't often come out flat (I really need to replace my oven) but I bought a cake leveller and this solves the problem.

I tried lowering the temperature for my cakes once and all this seemed to do was overbake it and make my cake really really dry.

DianaI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaI Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #8 of 11

After I turn my cake out of the pan to cool I place plastic wrap or wax paper over the cake (what was the bottom while it was baking). Then I invert the cake pan and set it on the wax paper and place a can of veggies inside the pan. This downward pressure is sometimes enough to even out my cake so I have very little if any "leveling" to do once it's cooled.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:04am
post #9 of 11

I got sick of having to level my cakes that I bought an agbay. Funny thing is I haven't worked out how to use it!!

There is a product over her in the UK called Superwhite by Sugarflair. I tend to use most with gumpaste or in royal icing. It's quite good and a little tends to go along way.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:11am
post #10 of 11

The Wilton White-White works really well in buttercream (and I use all butter - can't get Crisco here!). I haven't tried it in fondant.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:09am
post #11 of 11

I bake at 325 and use baking strips and flower nail, I also fill my cake pan to almost 3/4 so I get a full size cake. Right after I take it from the oven I put a piece of wax paper over the hump or uneven area and gentle press it till it is level. No more throwing away cake, or snacking on cake. I also use butter in my icing so I do use the Wiltons White White works good on gumpaste and fondant also, you may have to kneed in a little extra sugar if you have to use very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%