Tired Of Trying To Make Them Level!!

Decorating By kccliff Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 10:09am by zdebssweetsj

kccliff Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 11

I have always turned my cakes upside down out of the pan. I then flip it over and cut it so it's flat and use the bottom of the cake as the top. Is there a way to cook the cakes so they are flat or closer to it?? I've used parchment paper but that doesn't always work.

Is there a different temp for different sizes??

Also has anyone used the Wilton White White in fondant to make it whiter?

Thank you in advance.

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 11

I bake all of my cakes at 325, with a flower nail upside down in the middle of the pan. That helps a lot with getting it to bake more evenly. I also use the WASC recipe but replace part of the water with liquid coffee creamer and I've noticed that makes a big difference in how much I have to cut off when I level it. I've gotten to the point where the thickest part of the piece I cut off is no more than 1/2"...my family is disappointed because there aren't as many cake scraps for them anymore.

I haven't tried the White-white in fondant, but I was reading in another post this weekend that the more you knead MMF, the whiter it will get. I'm going to try that next time, I make my MMF in the kitchen aid so it doesn't usually need much kneading before I use it, but I'm going to try it and see how much it lightens up.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 11

I use the wilton bake even strips and my cakes come out very flat. I also use a flower nail upside down for any thing over 8" and I bake at 325 degrees.

kjskid Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 11

I've been baking mine at 300* and they come out great!

Lcubed82 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 11

I put flower nails in my 6" layers last night, and they came out great. I had used them in larger cakes, but not the small. My oven is at about 325.

KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

Lower the oven temp

NatalieMarie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 11

My cakes don't often come out flat (I really need to replace my oven) but I bought a cake leveller and this solves the problem.

I tried lowering the temperature for my cakes once and all this seemed to do was overbake it and make my cake really really dry.

DianaI Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #8 of 11

After I turn my cake out of the pan to cool I place plastic wrap or wax paper over the cake (what was the bottom while it was baking). Then I invert the cake pan and set it on the wax paper and place a can of veggies inside the pan. This downward pressure is sometimes enough to even out my cake so I have very little if any "leveling" to do once it's cooled.

CakeWhizz Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:04am
post #9 of 11

I got sick of having to level my cakes that I bought an agbay. Funny thing is I haven't worked out how to use it!!

There is a product over her in the UK called Superwhite by Sugarflair. I tend to use most with gumpaste or in royal icing. It's quite good and a little tends to go along way.

scgriffiths Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:11am
post #10 of 11

The Wilton White-White works really well in buttercream (and I use all butter - can't get Crisco here!). I haven't tried it in fondant.

zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:09am
post #11 of 11

I bake at 325 and use baking strips and flower nail, I also fill my cake pan to almost 3/4 so I get a full size cake. Right after I take it from the oven I put a piece of wax paper over the hump or uneven area and gentle press it till it is level. No more throwing away cake, or snacking on cake. I also use butter in my icing so I do use the Wiltons White White works good on gumpaste and fondant also, you may have to kneed in a little extra sugar if you have to use very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%