Cake Decorating Party?????

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm by KrissieCakes

Florimbio Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 10

I have a client that wants me to do a 3 hour cake decorating party for her and 9 or so of her much do I charge???? Just to go over the basics, and then let them play with the fondant????

9 replies
something_sweet Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 10

Are you providing the supplies or are they? That will figure into your cost. If they are providing all of the supplies and you are just instructing, then I would come up with an hourly rate that you want to be paid. Also consider travel time to and from. If you are providing the supplies too, that will have to be added to your rate.

I have never done a class like this, but it is a great idea! Good Luck!

Florimbio Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 10

they are making the cakes...I am showing them how to make buttercream, and how to smooth it, then they will get to play around with the fondant, so I will need a tub of fondant, so I would say $50 max in supplies......

megmarie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 10

My mother does stamping classes for colleges, they get to make 5 cards and she sets everything up with insructions and goes around and assists everyone. She gets paid $x/project in materials + $70 to cover gas, time to put it together and her time at the class (total not per person).

jadak Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 10

I have never done anything like this, so I really have no idea what the going rate might be. However, I am wondering if you could charge a "per person" price + supplies. So if there are 10 people, you could say $10 per person ($100 total) plus supplies ($50) which would be $150.00 for the 3 hour party. You'd make about $30 per hour. Of course you could alter the price per person so that you're making what you feel you want to make per hour.

It sounds like a fun way to make some extra money. Let us know if you do it and how it works out.

something_sweet Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 10

Don't forget to include your prep time too. Don't underestimate the value of your time. After thinking about it, I think I would probably charge around $25 per person.

Florimbio Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 10

thanks...I do think I will do so much per person, ya know...

RiLinNa Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 10

Fantastic idea!! I would say charge per person as well. I would definitely pay to attend such a party. Going rate here would easily be $25 to $40 a person. I would bet leaning towards the higher...however....different parts of the nation could get much different rates.

cylstrial Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to hear how it turns out!

KrissieCakes Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 10

I did this for my niece's 11th birthday last year - it was a blast!! I made 6-in rounds for each of the 7 girls, brought the buttercream, fondant, and a lot of my 'toys'. They had so much fun learning how to roll out the fondant and make decorations. I brought a few of my books and let them pick out designs, which was not a good idea - 7 girls with 7 designs I had to help with. I would pick some techniques to teach, like making a rose or a bow or something, and have them go with it. Much less hectic. Good luck and have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%