Topsy Turvy - I Have No Idea - Please Help

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm by all4cake

Echooo3 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to make a Topsy Turvy cake as a gift for a very close friend for her wedding. I've never made a Topsy Turvy and I have only done two other tiered cakes. Sooooo many questions .............

I want to make each tier with an hour-glass shape on the sides to serve about 125 people:

1) What size cakes do I use for each tier? I am coming up with something that has the rounds listed below but I KNOW that is too much cake

Most postings say that a Topsy Turvy cake is 3-layers.

I want to use the SPS system, so I am imagining doing the carved method in the center so I can put the SPS in.

2) Has anyone done a Topsy Turvy with SPS?

3) If each tier is 3+ layers, how in the world do you cut it?

I am sure I will have many more questions about this so I thank you in advance for patiently having to see my posts. The wedding is October 3rd.

8 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 9

There is a tutorial on CC about TT cakes. Also a good YouTube video by janellscakes(?- search topsy turvy cakes)

I would think the SPS system would be perfect for support. I have purchased the set, and plan to try it out this week.

Echooo3 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 9

The link is helpful but still have some unanswered questions. Thanks.

Echooo3 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 9

Okay, just one question

How do you cut a topsy turvy cake?

all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 9

The above description doesn't sound like a topsy turvy but more whimsical....GEEZ...unless...omw, you plan on curving them then slanting and giving them the tilted look????

For each tier:

Each tier would consist of two sub tiers that consists of 5- 1/2 layers of cake....(8,7,6,7,8 = 5 layers, split = 10- 1/2 layers) place 8" split layer on cake circle, fill, add another 8" split layer, fill, 7", fill, 7", fill, 6"....carve and crumbcoat ...do this twice....allow to settle for several hours...dowel the one that will be for the bottom portion of that tier...now place a 6" foam core on top of the each conical shape....smear some icing on top of one of them and carefully invert the other and place on top of the first...you now have an hourglass shape (I would at this point consider driving a sharpened dowel through that tier)...ice it as a whole. If you do it this way, you could cut it quite normally.

I wish you all the best with this project! I can not wait to see the finished cake!

all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 9

The instructions given here on CC...I don't have the direct link...sorry, shows the SPS being used.

Echooo3 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 9

all4cake, thank you for your response.

Clearly, I don't know what I am doing. My friiend specifically said she would like a topsy turvy.

When I said how do you cut it, I was referring to cutting it to serve it. Would you cut it the same and any tiered cake?

I'm sorry for being so confusing.

all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

I understood your question. I answered by suggesting you put your(by your description of layers to be used sounds like hourglass/corset tiers) tiers together so that you could cut them like normal tiers...they wouldn't be ginormous slices that require fish platters to accomodate the serving size...you would be slicing from more normal heighted tiers with there being sub-tiers within each tier. The cuts would be irregular due to the slant but you'd just cut slightly thinner servings on the high side and slightly wider servings on the low side.

A previous question was. "If each tier is 3+ layers, how in the world do you cut it? ". I was basically responding to that when I was suggesting making each tier have two sub tiers (regardless of the shape, one would want the servings relatively even ...common tiers are around 4" but if you're using 3 layers of cake which would create the need for boarding/dowelling somewhere between, putting the board/dowelling at around 4" would cause one cutting area to be significantly shorter than the next one below...instead, divide the taller tiers into more equal sub tiers so that servings are more proportionate to each other. Sub tiering a tall tier allows one to cut it like a tier with a more common height.

all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 9

Here is the link to the instructions using the SPS

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%