Using Cake Dummies Or Foam Dummines To Separate Layers

Decorating By Nanabug Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm by Justbeck101

Nanabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanabug Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:32am
post #1 of 4

I have a 4 layer fondant cake due Dept 19. Each layer is separated with flowers. I have looked at different techniques for separating the layers (hidden pillars, floating cake stand, etc) It was suggested in a forum post that I use cake dummies. The cake is 6,8,10,12 and in the picture you can not see a cake plate under the layers. I have attached a picture of the cake ordered. Please tell me how to use these and where they can be purchased.
Any help is appreciated!
Debra
LL

3 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 4

I have not done one of these, but I would think that you just use styrofoam or a cake dummy depending upon the thickness you wanted. Stick the flower wires into the foam.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 4

It was me who suggested it. I would say - make a 7 tier cake - 6,6,8,8,10,10,12 or 6,5,8,7,10,9,12 if you can get cake dummies or styrofoam rounds in this size, alternating a cake and a dummy tier.
Use cake board with exact the same size as your cake under the cake tiers - the flowers will cover a lot. Should it be buttercream only cake or covered in fondant? If covered - make the cake boards slightly smaller - same size as cake, and with icing and fondant you won't see the board.
The dummies don't need a support but need to be anchored.
Either put buttercream on top and bottom of the dummies or drive long dowel through the whole cake (or do both). With center dowel, you need to make the center hole in the dummy tiers in advance.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 4

If you notice in that pic, the tiers do not look 4 or 5 inches each, so make sure when you purchase what ever you use for the flowers that you pay attention to how much space you want between each tier. They could be 4 or 5, but the things around the cake give some reference to the height of each tier. I think they are closer to 3 inches each or even alternating heights.....not sure if that was on purpose though. To me it looks like 2" between each tier.

Okay, I am done rambling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%