Do You Use A Sheeter?

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm by Marianna46

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:16am
post #1 of 28

I would love to buy a sheeter if I can find a good used one.

Could I use it for both fondant and sugar cookies? What kind to you have/recommend?

27 replies
CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #2 of 28

I'm curious about this too, so I'll give you a bump.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 28

I was looking into this the other day. I am really interested also!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 28

LOL! It seems like we all would like one - but no one on here has one! Well, I hope that one day I can get one!! That would be the best present EVER!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 28

What is a sheeter?

Echooo3 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 28

A sheeter is a pretty major piece of equipment IMHO.

You put your dough/fondant in one side and it rolls it out to what ever thickness you enter on the other side.

Google "Somerset Sheeter" that should help.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 28

Cool piece of machinery, but way beyond my budget - I need to have some money left over for my charity!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 28

It is the thing the people on the cake competition shows on food network and WE tv use to roll out their fondant. They are used for pizza dough also.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 28

Maybe I can find one of those old ringer-style washing machines instead. THose sheeters are pricey. icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 28

I always tithe 10%. So the way I see it, if I can be so forturnate to be able to purchase a sheeter, technically I should be able to make more and tithe more.

Please help me if my thinking seems flawed. My excitement about getting into business has me pretty much delirious. It helps to have you all around me to keeping me thinking straight.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 28

I am looking at a used one for $500--really debating. They're SO expensive and this one is a deal.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #12 of 28

$500??? I would sell my soul to find one for $500!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #13 of 28

I bought a sheeter 3 months ago. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner. Saves so much time!

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I always tithe 10%. So the way I see it, if I can be so forturnate to be able to purchase a sheeter, technically I should be able to make more and tithe more.

Please help me if my thinking seems flawed. My excitement about getting into business has me pretty much delirious. It helps to have you all around me to keeping me thinking straight.

Nope, I agree. If you buy a sheeter, you can (eventually) make more money, and thus (eventually), tithe more money.

Does that help?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #15 of 28

I have to laugh I think we ALL want a sheeter after watching the Cake Shows, Glad to hear your tithing.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Love that you said this and I totally agree with you. thumbs_up.gif Oh yeah, and I want a sheeter too!

kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #17 of 28

Well I bought the sheeter! We're opening a deli/bake shop (second time I've done this!) and I know it's going to be used A LOT. From cinnamon rolls to fondant--cookies and bierocks! It's an oldie, but a goodie!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:44am
post #18 of 28

Amazing how that works, I didn't know I needed one till I saw it on Cake Boss, now I cn't wait to get one LOL

Brooke377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke377 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #19 of 28

what about trying a pasta maker/roller...has anyone used it before for fondant?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 28

I never saw a sheeter until I watched Food Network Challenge, and Now?
I'm thinking to myself"how come I don't have one?"
Maybe once I open my own shop, but for now at home, looks like its just me and my rolling pin! lol
icon_smile.gif Jodi

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #21 of 28

I can only dream of having one but I'm a hobby baker so I don't think it's gonna happen soon icon_cry.gif The pasta maker only works for small pieces of fondant Brooke, a sheeter makes easier to cover whole cakes in fondant. icon_wink.gif

Brooke377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke377 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 28

thanks Miny icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 28

kansaslaura,
What is a bierock?

kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #24 of 28

Bread dough, rolled out and filled with a mixture of hamburger, cabbage, onion and seasonings--then baked.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #25 of 28

kansas,
Thanks. Very interesting. Never heard of it.
How do you pronounce that?

maddypaige01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddypaige01 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #26 of 28

I'm in the same boat! I'm hoping my next big equipment purchase will be a sheeter, but I can't figure out what I'm buying. Do you have to get a fondant sheeter specifically? Will a dough sheeter work just as well as the one labeled specifically for fondant? I hear that Somerset is the best brand to go with, so with that being a given, what's the big difference between the dough sheeter and the fondant sheeter?? Any kind words of wisdom here would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm
post #27 of 28

I'm fortunate enough to have a sheeter (believe me, I know how lucky I am!). I have the 30" Somerset model. I don't think there's a difference between a fondant sheeter and a dough sheeter except maybe how thick or thin you can roll sheets. In my opinion, you wouldn't want to roll both dough and fondant on the same sheeter. It's simple and easy to clean, but cleaning is kind of a pain if you're switching between flour and powdered sugar (you need a little bit before running fondant through the sheeter).

I would definitely recommend this equipment to anyone who can find a way to get one. It's so easy that I definitely feel like I'm cheating!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #28 of 28

I have a pasta machine, too, and it's a great little tool. It's true that it can't roll out sheets of fondant large enought to cover a cake, but it's great for smaller things, like rolling out long pieces for swags or long sort-of-wide strips that you can either cut "planks" from (like for boxes or mini-houses) or use cookie/flower cutters on. Once the sheet is rolled out, it also cuts strips of different widths (from spaghettini to ravioli), which can also be very useful for cake decorating. I didn't know what a sheeter was until I read this thread, but like all of you, I don't know how I've lived without one for so long. Too bad about the price!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%