Is My Gum Paste Too Soft?

Decorating By Adevag Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 3:21am by Sugarflowers

Adevag Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 4

I have been trying to "sculpt" a figure using gum paste. But I am not having any good luck. Since I am new to this I am wondering if I am using the wrong medium. My problem is that after I have made the head which is pretty much like a ball, it looses its shape. After I put it down it flattens out and sinks. Is my gum paste too soft? Or should I use something else like modeling chocolate? I need it to be white so could I use white chocolate? For those of you who have worked with it, could I cover modeling chocolate with fondant? Or should I stick to gum paste and to something differently? I was planning on working in some more ps into my gum paste to make it firmer but wanted to check with all of you experienced decorators first. Thanks a lot.

3 replies
HeatherWantsCake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 4

While I'm not sure I'd count myself among the "experienced decorators", I have been playing with gumpaste recently.

The gumpaste I use is typically firm enough to hold even a fingerprint impression. Did you buy RTU gumpaste or make it? If you made it, what did you add? If it's not holding shape at all, it definitely sounds like it's missing something. I'd knead in more ps at the very least.

Adevag Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 4

The only gum paste I have ever worked with is home made. I use wilton gum tex powder and I follow the recipe that comes with it. (Water, glucose, gum tex and ps). I think because of the humidity it has become softer so I bought some more ps today and will knead it in.

Sugarflowers Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 4

Add some more gumtext to your gumpaste, let it rest for a couple of hours, and then try again. It should take quite a bit of kneading to get it to a workable stage after this.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%