Pricing And Serving Question For A Shaped 3 Cake

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm by Kiddiekakes

Henna20 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 3

I just got an order for a shaped number 3 cake to serve 45-50 ppl. I'm always confused how to figure out servings and pricing for a shaped cake like that. The biggest size i can carve out of is a 1/2 sheet (12 x 16) which i normally consider about 45 servings. I don't even know where to start to figure out how to get the finished product to serve 50 ppl. How can i make a 3 cake to serve 50? Also how do I charge for this? Normally my cakes start at about $2 per serving but there is going to be lots of wasted cake here.
Thank you!!

2 replies
majka_ze Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:16am
post #2 of 3

If you carve it, they need to pay for the whole 1/2 sheet + the cost of the carving. No way around it. From the discarded cake - make mini cakes and / or cake balls for your family and friends.
But I am almost sure it will not be enough servings.

Here is another idea - bake two 12" rounds, better yet - set in each 12" round a 5" in the middle (making a DIY angel food pan or similar). Cut wedges to get the number 3.
This should give you about 55 servings. But it is a very big cake.

See the attached picture.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 3

I just did a 80th cake with the numbers 8 and 0...I made a paper template first with my pans and then drew them out.I calculated from there for servings.I charge $5.00 a serving for 3D..Carved cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%