Hi everyone! I am new to this site and so far I LOVE IT! I love baking and decorating cakes and have recently decided I would like to take a crack at the cake business. I would appreciate any tips on how you guys got started! Thanks!
Where are you from? Are you planning to open a shop or do it out of your house?I decided to start a business without any experience in business or knowing what I needed to know. I went to a Regional Business Center through our local college (University of Northern Iowa). They were a great business resource and networking opportunities are great. I started out of my house, learned to guidelines and saw I couldn't do it that way. (animals in the house) so I rented a kitchen for a couple of years and this past Feb. I opened a kitchen form my home. I do not have walk in business, it's all made to order. I also have been befriended by some local decorators and they are now dear friends. I also enter the local wedding shows. I started by posting my cards around, giving free samples. All that good stuff. Be sure to take lots of pictures of your stuff, start a website and be sure to post your thank yous for all to see. Good luck to you.
You might want to post over on the business forum, but here's some basics if you plan to bake at home:
1. Check your homeowner's association, deed restrictions (if any) and zoning to determine if you even can have a biz in your home.
2. Check the sticky at the top of the Business Form to see if your state licenses home kitchens.
3. Contact your local health Depart or state Depart of Ag to get a copy of the requirements for inspections/permits/licenses.
4. You'll probably need to take a Food Sanitation class.
5. Set up your corporation. This is very important in order to protect your personal assets from your business assets.
6. Purchase liability insurance.
If you're planning on renting space/opening in a storefront, then you still should:
1. check the zoning for the property just to make sure yyou can have a bakery there.
2. negotiate a great lease arrangement.
3. Do steps 3 - 6 above.
Hello, my name is Katherine I am new to the this site as well.I recently moved to the Southbend,Indiana area - I would like to know if any one would be so gracious to help me find out where should I go to get guidelines and other information on setting up a business. I recently took my cheesecakes to a local franchise and they loved it and other local businesses.I want to know how can I go about renting a kitchen to prepare and distribute out side my home. By the way I don't have enough room in my apartment to do this.
cupcakkathy, check the sticky at the beginning of this Forum. There's a chart with the info you asking for.
Voting will be over soon! Who's gonna help me win this thing?
Thanks guys for all of your help. I have decided to take a Safe Serve class. I am also working on my business plan. When I firts started I was in my house (can't do that either) . So i rented out a booth in a farmers market but I am limited to what I can do. I need something that fits what I intend to do. I need all of your prayers. That God direct me and put people like you guys here in this forum in my path to give me some direction.