What Else Is Needed?

Business By cakefort Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm by cakefort

cakefort Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 8

My state does not license home kitchens. If I found a licensed kitchen to use, do I need anything else? Do I need a license? Do I need to do anything to be legit beyond having a commercial kitchen to use?

7 replies
chefjulie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

You need to contact your local health department to find out exactly what you need. It varies by state, county, neighborhood, etc.

More than likely, YOU will have to take a food safety course and apply for a permit.

cakefort Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 8

I sent a cake with a friend today and two people at her shindig asked if I would make cakes for them. I hate to turn them down and I'd love to be able to find a way to do it---and sleep at night icon_smile.gif

Godiva Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 8

Here in NYC you need to have insurance to rent out a kitchen.

rharris524 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 8

I have use of a restaurant kitchen and I needed to get a permit and inspection through the dept. of agriculture, a tax ID number, and I needed to take a food handlers exam. Once I cut through all of the red tape and figured out who I needed to talk to, it was fairly painless but a little expensive...I'm in FL

cakefort Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:31am
post #6 of 8

A little expensive, rharris524? I'm in Fl, too. Good to know.

rharris524 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 8

The food handlers course was about $100 and the permit was about $230...I don't have insurance b/c I'm covered under the restaurant's but otherwise that would be about another $300

cakefort Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the specific breakdown!

Quote by @%username% on %date%