Can Cream Cheese Filling Be Left Out Of Fridge?

Decorating By chanda Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm by bobwonderbuns

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a carrot cake with cream cheese icing as the filling. I need to cover the cake with fondant. I am worried about leaving the cream cheese out, but i am also worried about putting the fondant in the fridge. the fondant will have fondant ropes on the sides. Do you think they will slide down the sides if the fondant gets a little moist from being in the fridge?

5 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 6

I put fondant covered cakes in the frig all the time with no problemo!! Give it a crisco rub first if you're worried about the fondant cracking. Now the cream cheese however is a different story -- I'd go with the cream cheese in a sleeve stuff (doctored) instead of the real thing just for food safety reasons.

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 6

ohhhh. Does the sleeve stuff taste good? And it can be left out?

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6

Personally I can't stand the stuff in a sleeve, which is why I doctor it heavily. Yes it can be left out which makes it a much better choice for what you need. I usually blend it with butterceam and spices to give it some flavor.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 6

Do you mindif I ask, Bob, exactly how you doctor it? The cream cheese stuff, specifically? I've never used the sleeves, and am deathly afraid of food-safety concerns, so always have a heckuva time filling with cream cheese. Please give us some suggestions for what works for you!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 6

I just kind of wing it actually. A "blurp" of the cream cheese in a sleeve, a dollop of buttercream, mix and taste. Maybe add flavorings (extracts or spices) -- I go by taste. I don't use cream cheese that often for that purpose. Also click on the link in my signature which has links to all the google docs from all the threads with them -- there are tons of ideas there. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%