Bubbly Buttercream

Decorating By cakesncrumbs Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm by indydebi

cakesncrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesncrumbs Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all. I've been having an issue with my buttercream lately. I use a 1-1 ratio of butter and shortening. I also use a Kitchen Aid mixer on the lowest speed and blend slowly but I'm getting a lot of air bubbles in my buttercream when I spread it on the cake. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 11

what does it look like after you smooth it?

My icing looks porous in the mixing bowl and when I initially put it on the cake. Once I use the bench scraper for the initial icing-removal-smoothing step and then Melvira it, it's super smooth. So I ignore what it looks like until after I smooth it.

Sugarshack has a great video that you might find helpful, too.

cakesncrumbs Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 11

It still looks porous.

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 11

Then my next question would be how long are you beating your fat?

Here's how I view it. If you run your hand across a bed of really fine sand, you leave a smooth path. BUT ....! If there is a pebble in that sand, then as you rub your hand across the sand and drag the pebble along, the pebble will leave a trail in the smooth sand.

The unpulverized fat in your mixture is the pebble. When you push the icing around on your cake, the piece of fat leaves a "porous" trail in the icing.

I beat the fat, vanilla, milk, dream whip and about 1 cup of p.sugar until the mixture is silky smooth. Until I can see NO particles of fat whatsoever. Then I add the rest of the sugar and mix it.

I run my mixer for various lengths of time. Sometimes I'll turn on the mixer and then go outside for a smoke break, or cruise CC for awhile. To me, there is no such thing as beating it too long.

But I made sure the fat has been totally pulverized.

And again, take a look at Sharon's video.

cakesncrumbs Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

That's kind of what I do. I beat the butter and shortening until it is completely smooth then I add the sugar 1/2 C - 3/4 C at a time and beat that until it's smooth after each addition. I'll take a look at the video and see if there's somthing I'm missing.

Thanks Debi

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 11

Something that i have found that works is to make sure you fill up your mixer! I make buttercream from a recipe i found on another web site but if i make a triple batch in my 6qt once the sugar is added it is above the beater. This prevents the air bubbles. I belive i read this trick on CC and i'm so glad because i was having the same problems. It is so much more smooth, i now never make a partial batch and just freeze what i don't use.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 11

ckenewby - I like the freezing part. How long can BC be frozen for?

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 11

I do it the indydebi style and rarely have problems.

My next question is are you sifting your sugar? I only ask because if I try to shortcut this step, I always end up with problems.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesncrumbs

Hi all. I've been having an issue with my buttercream lately. I use a 1-1 ratio of butter and shortening. I also use a Kitchen Aid mixer on the lowest speed and blend slowly but I'm getting a lot of air bubbles in my buttercream when I spread it on the cake. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I preach this remedy all the time. Get yourself a two beater stand mixer...doesn't have to be an expensive one....mix a portion of your icing on low speed for a minute or so, scraping the bowl constantly and you will remove the bubble and get a really smooth icing to work with.

I make my icing in a 20 quart mixer and it looks as rough as can be....but when I remix what I need in my Sunbeam Mixmaster it is smooth as silk....check out some of my cakes closeup at www.webshots.com....just search "jsarnett" at the site and you'll see how smooth this method gets your icing.

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 11

I have never frozen for more than two months. thaw at room temp and give it a good stir before applying to the cake. I agree that you must mix your butter/crisco mixture until creamy but the real trick is to fill up your bowl above the beater. Let me know how it works out...Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

My next question is are you sifting your sugar?

Oh, excellent point! I'm glad you brought that up. That, too, makes a difference in the texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%