Advice On A Two Tier Cake...

Decorating By kikster Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm by kikster

kikster Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 3

I have 2 tier shower cake due this week. It will be an 8inch and a 6 inch. I am reluctant to use my plate seperators and hollow columns because it will have a considerable impact on the servings for just an 8 inch base.

So my question is, if I just do dowels to seperate the tiers, will it be safe for the customer to transport? I always assemble on site, and have never had someone pick up a tiered cake before.

If I do wooden dowels, do I need the center dowel on just a small two tier?

2 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikster

I have 2 tier shower cake due this week. It will be an 8inch and a 6 inch. I am reluctant to use my plate seperators and hollow columns because it will have a considerable impact on the servings for just an 8 inch base.

So my question is, if I just do dowels to seperate the tiers, will it be safe for the customer to transport? I always assemble on site, and have never had someone pick up a tiered cake before.

If I do wooden dowels, do I need the center dowel on just a small two tier?

Dowels will be fine. As for the center....depends....if the cake will be well chilled before she picks it up, it should be pretty solid and if the drive os fairly short it should be fine.....if it were me, I'd add the center dowel just for insurance against the tier sliding out of place.

kikster Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 3

My only concern with refrigerating it, is that I have to do a black stencil on a white cake, and I don't want any bleeding due to sweating from it coming to room temp. I hate not being able to refrigerate. I refrigerate all my cakes, so it is stressing me a little not to refrigerate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%