Help! Making My Friend's Wedding Cake!

Decorating By pommer31 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm by Texas_Rose

pommer31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pommer31 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 4

I need help! So she decided she wanted different flavors per layer. One of which is red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. The cream cheese icing has to be refridgerated. So then I am covering it with vanilla flavored fondarific. Then I am doing royal icing decorations on the outside. The main question is... Can I put the fondarific in the refridgerator and have it come out ok or will it sweat? And can the royal icing go in the refridgerator as well?? I did a test run with Wilton fondant and a version of royal icing that had chocolate in it- the fondant sweat really bad and the royal started to slide off the cake. Any ideas at all to help??

Thank you sooo much!

3 replies
lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 4

I think it really depends on the kind of fondant and royal icing you use. I'm no expert (far from it) but I always refrigerate my cakes and have never had this problem. I buy my fondant locally here in Denmark, so that probably isn't much help, but my royal icing is made of actual eggwhite instead of powder, powdered sugar and lemon juice.

I know this probably doesn't help you much, but I guess that were I in your shoes, I'd keep trying different kids of fondant. Or hope someone here has a better advice than mine icon_biggrin.gif Good luck.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 4

IMO the fondarific won't be a problem but the RI as far as I know can't be refridgerated, maybe if you do the RI decorations at the very end will be best. Good luck

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

How about using a cream cheese icing that doesn't have to be refrigerated? Earlene has one icon_biggrin.gif http://earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%