What Are You Currently Reading?

Lounge By cinderspritzer Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm by miss_sweetstory

cinderspritzer Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 90

Anyone read any good books lately?

I've just started ''Eats, Shoots, and Leaves'' by Lynne Truss, after reading the latest pet peeve thread. I just finished ''The Gargoyle'' by Andrew Davidson, and it was fabulous.

89 replies
-Tubbs Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 90

I'm coming out of 'silly season' - I only seem to be able to ready trashy or 'less serious' books over the summer! Am currently reading The Face by Dean Koontz which is quite entertaining and not badly written. I also need to go back to 'We Need to Talk about Kevin', which my friend insisted I read. It's beautifully written, but very 'clever' and I'm struggling a bit with it.

I haven't heard of the Davidson book you mentioned - what's it about? LOVED 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'!! If you liked that, you might also like 'Talk to the Hand' which she also wrote - it's about rudeness and is also quite good.

I am also gearing up to re-read some old favourites: The Stand, His Dark Materials, Pride & Prejudice...

cinderspritzer Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 90

"The Gargoyle" is about a guy who's "beautiful" then has an accident and gets disfigured. While he's recovering, a woman starts telling him about their past lives together. I don't want to tell any more for fear of giving it away. It's a really cute book.

veronica720 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 90

I just started reading a few months ago (knew how to read, just hadn't for fun..lol). I guess after school was finished (in '97) I was avoiding it.

I got the bug when I saw previews for a movie on lifetime. It was 'The Tenth Circle' by Jodi Picoult which was pretty good. After that I just wanted to read every chance I got. Most people probably think the 'Twilight' books by Stephanie Meyer are childish but I don't care, I read all four in as many days. I couldn't put them down. Her other book 'The Host' was great also.

Right now I am reading the 'Harry Potter' series. I like the movies and can't wait to see what happens so I decided I would just read all the books.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 90

I'm reading "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff. I'm almost done with it. It's really good.

[veronica720, LOVE your avatar! Is the pup on the left (or both) a "pitty"? Absolutely aDORable!!!]

veronica720 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 90
Originally Posted by SugarLover3

[veronica720, LOVE your avatar! Is the pup on the left (or both) a "pitty"? Absolutely aDORable!!!]

Thank you, it was captured just right.

They are both American Pit Bull Terriers (brother and sister), and they are the best dogs I have ever had. They will lick you to death (once they know you). Names are 'Bonnie & Clyde'.

Lita829 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 90

I finished "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin about a week ago. Last month, I read "Something Borrowed" which is also by Emily Giffin. They are both great books about friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness. "Something Blue" is a sequel to "Something Borrowed".

I am now reading "Baby Proof" which is also by Giffin. I am about a quarter through the book and I think its pretty good. Its about the small minority of women who DON'T want children...the main character being one of these women. The pros and cons of parenthood are intertwined with awesome story telling.

KitchenKat Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #8 of 90

Baby Proof sounds interesting.

I liked The Gargoyle too. And the HP series. And the Twilight series.

I love books! I'm an equal opportunity reader. I read anything and everything although I draw the line at Romance Novels & Bodice Rippers.

Just finished reading Snow Flower and Secret Fan by Lisa See. It's about the friendship and betrayal of sworn sisters in early 20th Century China. I was fascinated by the snapshots of Chinese culture and society but I felt she was a bit heavy handed with her message on Chinese women and society.

Also just finished A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. It's a memoir of his life as a child soldier in Sierra Leone. His story is being disputed by some Australian journalists although he has a many supporters as he has detractors. Nevertheless it's a fascinating, if raw and emotional read.

Tonight I'll begin reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It's about the friendship between a female English writer and her friendship with a man living on Guernsey, a British island once occupied by Nazis.

And always I have on my nightstand "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup which is a very empowering book on understanding our health. I refer to it very often sometimes discovering new things, sometimes reinforcing what I already know.

Other books I've recently enjoyed: Night by Elie Weisel, The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs and The Birth House by Ami Mckay.

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 90

It's rare that I have time to read much, which is sad for me because it's my#1 passion. I'm a speed reader and ABSORB reading material in a very short time (so it's kind of an expensive hobby for me!). So when I have a couple of days off, I can usually squeeze in a book or two.

But I picked up a new book at Sam's Club on Friday: "The Murder Book" by Jonathan Kellerman.

We buy books by author and Kellerman is part of our Favorite Authors collection.

veronica720 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 90
Originally Posted by indydebi

We buy books by author and Kellerman is part of our Favorite Authors collection.

So do you mean that you find an author and read all their books or something? I read another Jodi Picoult book but I didn't really like it , so I don't know if I just happened to like the one or maybe the next was not as good. I will have to find another to see for sure.

My mom reads all of Stephen Kings books, so I might start those next, we'll see.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 90

I'm currently rereading the Wheel of Time series as the latest book should FINALLY be coming out this October. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #12 of 90
Originally Posted by veronica720

So do you mean that you find an author and read all their books or something? I read another Jodi Picoult book but I didn't really like it , so I don't know if I just happened to like the one or maybe the next was not as good. I will have to find another to see for sure.

My mom reads all of Stephen Kings books, so I might start those next, we'll see.

Yes. We have to keep our books on the shelves alphabetically by author. We read SO much that we've actually bought books twice because we forgot that we've read them. We cleaned out our books once. Gave away over 700 books and still had 5 bookcases,5 shelves each, with books double-rowed and double-stacked still left in the house.

Our faves include Tom Clancy, Vince Edwards, W.E.B. Griffin, John Jakes, Patricia Cornwell, Robert Ludlum, Mitchner, Michael Connelly, Michael Crighton, Len Deighton, to name just a few (seriously ... this is the SHORT list!). We also love reading biographies, particularly political. I like Stephen King, which hubby won't read. He likes historical westerns,which I won't read. Other than that, we can share books back and forth.

One year for Christmas, I rec'd 10 books. I had them all read before New Years Day.

Lita829 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #13 of 90

I also read "Night" by Elie Wiesel. It was a while ago...back in 2005. It was an awesome book and very informative. It took my breath away to hear what actually went on and the evil that took place during WWII.

I read " My Sister's Keeper" by Picoult and that also struck a cord with me. My heart went out to the "human tissue donator" ( I don't recall her name because I read the book back in 2004). I know what it feels like to be created to benefit someone else. I couldn't believe what her parents were putting her through.

Another good book is " Cane River" by Lolita Tademe. It is a story of 4 generations of women and the story begins on a Southern plantation back during the times of slavery. Its a testament to strength, loss, and survival. I read the 400+ page book in 3 days....I couldn't put it down. "Night" had the same effect on me...I couldn't put that one down.

Let me see...I recently finished a book on Jackie O called "What Jackie Taught Us". After reading it I feel as though I understand her. I think that she endured sooo much heartache yet remained so elegant and classy. I respect her.

"Peaceful Warrior" was a good one. Its a cute book about believing in yourself, personal growth, and fate. I thought it was a good read.

I plan to get Nicholas Sparks' new one once I finish "Baby Proof" I look forward to reading it.

Snowflower and Secret Fan also sound really interesting.

SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #14 of 90

I recently finished Julie & Julia. I'm eager to see the movie. Currently I'm reading James Patterson's Alex Cross series, out of order, sadly icon_sad.gif because that is how my husband has given them to me.

indydebi, I am a "favorite author" reader, too. We have a house full of books, too. My favorites are suspense/mysteries and science fiction. I have all of John Grisham's books ( and on CD too for the car), almost all of Patricia Cornwell, Janet Evanovich, Robert B. Parker, Charlaine Harris, Anne Rice, Jean Auel (when oh when will she finish her next book), all the Harry Potters and Twilight Saga, Michael Crichton (may he rest in peace), Stephen King, Dan Brown, and so many others.

When I find an author I like, I read everything I can find by him/her. I prefer to buy rather than go to the library because after a few years I will re-read an entire book series.

Reading was my escape from a really bad home life when I was young, now it's just pure pleasure icon_biggrin.gif

I can't imagine a day without reading at least a few chapters of something.

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #15 of 90

How could I forget Grisham! He's at the top of our list. Dan Brown is on there, too.

We got to attend a lecture by Patricia Cornwell last year. The place was PACKED with her fans!!!!

redpanda Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #16 of 90

I am in the midst of organizing our home library (floor-to-ceiling books lining two walls in one bedroom), and it has become quite clear that we, too, tend to cluster on favorite authors, particularly in fantasy/sci fi and mystery.

We have a lot of Grisham, Dan Brown, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey, L. E. Modesitt, Christopher Stasheff, Richard North Patterson, and David and Leigh Eddings. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

We're also avid library patrons. Right now, I am reading "Talking Hands", about the linguistics of sign language.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #17 of 90

Oo, oo, oo, LOVE David & Leigh Eddings. And Indy you gave away books?!?!?!?That just about stop my breathing! I always say steal my jewlery (and I own a lot of Tiffany's), but touch my books and you die!

summernoelle Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #18 of 90

I am a complete bookworm. It's rare to find me without reading something.

For the past couple of years I have been into Phillipa Gregory, who writes historical books. (The Other Boleyn Girl, etc). It took me a long time to pick up one of her books because they looked so boring, but they are fantastic! Also in the genre, I love Allison Weir, who has written about Lady Jane Grey and Elizabeth I. So, so so good. Dramatic true stories that I think most people aren't aware of.

This summer I discovered Jen Lancaster. She is freaking hilarious! I never laugh while reading, but she had me in tears.

Today I finished the Twilight series. Sad, I know, but they were great!

Read all of Emily Griffin's stuff and it's pretty entertaining.

Last year I found Lolly Winston. She wrote a book called Good Grief about a girl who acquires a bakery and it's excellent. She has another one I think that is called Happiness Sold Separately that is good.

There is a book called I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson that I read twice when my son was an infant. I don't know what it was, but I liked how it was written.

Jennifer Weiner's first 3 books-Good In Bed, In Her Shoes and Little Earthquakes. Don't bother with her most recent three.

Memoirs of a Geisha has been out awhile, but it's so beautiful. I also like White Oleander.

Love Jane Green's earlier stuff, but lately she's kind of depressing.

And...that's all I can think of at the moment.

Shelle_75 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #19 of 90

How could I forget Grisham! He's at the top of our list. Dan Brown is on there, too.

We got to attend a lecture by Patricia Cornwell last year. The place was PACKED with her fans!!!!

I am so jealous! Kay Scarpetta is one of my fictional heroes!!!

prterrell Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #20 of 90

I usually have 2 books going at once, one ficition, one non-fiction. Currently, all the non-fiction I am reading is research I am doing for the novel I am writing. The fiction sort of is, too, as I am reading other books in the same genre (historical fiction) and mentally taking notes on style, voice, etc. The non-fiction book that I am reading right now is Peter S. Well's Barbarians to Angels: The Dark Ages Reconsidered. I just finished The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I haven't started a new fiction book yet. The White Queen was excellent, I couldn't put it down!

susanmm23 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #21 of 90

I am reading Son of a Witch. Its the sequal to Wicked...... loved that book.

Lita829 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:54am
post #22 of 90

I agree, the Other Bolyn Girl was fantastic. The movie didn't do it justice. I started "A Respectable Trade", also by Philippa Gregory but it was a little slow so I didn't finish it. I am the type of reader who has to be grabbed in the first chapter to make me stick with a book. Maybe I have a little ADD going on icon_wink.gif . I may revisit it though.

Memoirs of a Geisha was also pretty good...depressing, but good.

misserica Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #23 of 90

Great thread, I love to read! I am going to check out some of the titles you listed here.

I just finished the Janet Evanovich series. Great books, sad I am done with them! I highly recommend them. The series starts with "One for the Money". I also recommend Elin Hilderbrand. I just finished "A Summer Affair" and "Barefoot", two excellent books!! For those of you who are dog lovers I just recently read "Izzy and Lenore" by John Katz, really inspiring and sweet. I read the Twilight series too and loved them.

I also read the Emily Giffin books and enjoyed them.

I am in a book rut right now, I do not know what to read. I agree with you Summer, Jane Green is starting to get depressing. I read all of her books and the last two, "The Beach House" and "Dune Road" were not as good as her earlier stuff. The most recent titles all seem to have the same theme and you can figure out the ending after the first chapter.

misserica Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #24 of 90

I forgot to mention a site that I belong to.

You go on and list books that you would like to trade and each is given a point value. For instance, the Twilight books would be worth a lot of points right now because they are popular. If someone requests one of your books you are given a UPS label to print out and then you pop the book in the mail. Once it is received by the other person you are given X amount of points. You use your points to "purchase" books and the only thing you pay for is $4.49 for shipping when you order a book.

I highly recommend this site. I have a ton of old books on there (assuming you have storage) and I have so many points. The only downside is that sometimes the book you pick could take a while to get to you. So if you are a quick reader like me (read Breaking Dawn in one day) then you probably should have other books on hand to keep you busy while you wait.

Sicilian Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #25 of 90

Okay, I'm going to stand up and admit that for the past several days I have read nothing but the CC Forum icon_eek.gif . Like the side warning says, "This website is addictive". It all started out because I was looking for ideas for my 3yo granddaughter's upcoming birthday. That led to buying books like, "The Cake Bible", "Cake Art" and "Celebrate With Cake" only to be followed by ordering "Romantic Wedding Cakes" online. These will all reside in the sacred place where I keep all of Colette Peters books among other cake decorating books. Someone will have to pull me off the books once they start crowding my beloved Sicilian/Italian cookbooks icon_mad.gif . I think I'm ready to slowly back away from the books and CC for a few hours. I don't want to rush this withdrawal! icon_cool.gif

When I'm not reading recipe books I go for Robert Parker, Stuart Woods and books that make me laugh, or at the very least, smile.

This website is absolutely wonderful and I have never seen so many people willing to share their time and methods. Kudos to all of you that do.

CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #26 of 90

The Stand, for the millionth time .
If King wrote it I've read it, by far my fav author .
I do prefer his earlier works but I will read anything he has written at least once.
My favs-
The Mist
Eyes of the Dragon
Dark Tower Series
The Stand...
Ok so I love them all, except a few of the recent ones,it seems he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of those.
His college works are really the best.

sadsmile Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #27 of 90

I devoured the Twilight series rescently. But with my 2yo who is now getting into everything I can't read till she learns the rules and self control.

hey Indydebi...

one word

...Library! LOL icon_wink.gif

Sugarshock Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #28 of 90

Just finished rereading my favorite Jennifer Cruise novel, Bet Me. Next is either Jennifer Ashley's The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie or Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart B******* Guide to Romance by Candy Tan and Sarah Wendell, just depending on what arrives in the mail first. I love getting deals on books online, but the waiting drives me nuts.

dailey Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #29 of 90

i just finished reading the most amazing book by Nickly Eltz "Get Us Out of Here"! an excellent read for Catholics...

mrspriss0912 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #30 of 90

I have just finishe the Outlander series and awaiting the 7th book due out the 22nd of this month icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I just love those books Diana Gabaldon. I am reading another series from her Lord John Grey only 3 books in this series so far.
I just did a quick read called Secrets of a Shoe Addict it was great I have forgotten the arthor borrowed it from a friend but laughed out loud several times while reading it

Quote by @%username% on %date%