Was I Wrong?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm by LaBellaFlor

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 11

I had a customer inquire about a wedding and grooms cake for the 19th of Sept.
They wanted a tasting and were only available the 14th (5 days before the wedding). I told them no tasting but I could work the cake into my schedule.
Orders over 100 servings need to be paid for in full 2 weeks before delivery, well they inquired exactly 2 weeks before they need the cake, so technically the total was due the 6th when she emailed me.
Was I wrong not to let them have a tasting?
Giving the tasting would have only left 5 days to work out all the details and make payment in full. And I would have had to start baking by the 17th at least.
I have'nt gotten a response so I'm wondering if I lost the order because I would'nt do a tasting.
Would you do a tasting 5 days before the wedding?

10 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 11

No, you were not wrong. Stick to your policies. As soon as word gets out that you made accommodations for one pair of procrastinators, they will all think they can get you to take on their last minute jobs. And trust me, word will get out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

StaceyCakes75 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 11

I dont think you were wrong. If it was that important to them they would have made the time before. Its there fault waiting till the last minuet to shop for a cake.

cakesdivine Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 11

I wouldn't offer a sampling either. I am now only doing one sampling a month, if they can make it great if not so sorry. If they are that lackadazical about ordering their cake why worry? Your rules are your rules for a reason. If you break them once it will come back and bite you in the butt!

BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 11

There's noway i would have done a tasting 5 days before a wedding. All you could do is explain and offer them a tasting at a sooner date. then if they couldnt make it then there's not much you can do. I think they'll be hard pushed to find someone who will do it, if they're not avaible until the 14th. And what happens if someone does agree, they do the tasting with 5 days to go and they dont like the cake? Its to late to do anything about it then!!
Let us know if you hear back, good luck

Spuddysmom Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 11

Of course you were not wrong!

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 11

whew, Ok I thought maybe I was being harsh, I'm trying his whole backbone thing and it's harder then I thought...lol
The old me would have worked around their schedule, bent over backwards and been burned in the end by late payment or no payment . I'm trying to avoid putting myself in sistuaions where the customers calls all the shots.
There is just such a fine line between good customer service and being walked on, it's hard for me to see sometimes.
Thanks everyone, my mind as been put to ease!

kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 11

Nope, and they're darn lucky you could even do it!

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with all ... no tasting. Perhaps wording it "....since you've waited so long to order your wedding cake,we don't have time for a tasting. Let's see .... I have slots open on Tues at 3 or Wed at 4 for you to come in to let me know the design and to pay for the cake. Which works best for you?"

Sounds like they want all the "perqs" of wedding planning without the responsibility of planning it properly.

1234me Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 11

you were not wrong. They should have contacted you sooner!

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 11

I thought you responded appropiately. I wonder what made them wait so long to order a wedding cake of all things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%