Gluten And Wheat Free Flour

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 5:47am by Lisaa1996

Elise87 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:56am
post #1 of 12

I recently have been put on a gluten free and wheat free diet for a couple of months so I have bought gluten free plain flour as well as SR flour to use for my cooking.

I was wondering to anyone who uses these flour's, do they act similar to normal wheat flour's (especially the plain) or you do notice a different in taste or results in how your cakes etc cook?

Many thanks for any help or maybe even any tips you may have on cooking gluten and wheat free icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Elise87 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 12

i am gonna give myself a bump icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 12

They definitely act and taste differently, you need to experiment to see what works best for your tastes. A lot of people use a combination of different flours to try to get a "gluteny" texture, but I foundthat everything was just more grainy than wheat because of the lack of the gluten. It's a mtter of getting used to it.

Here's a good link: http://www.baking911.com/healthy/baking_glutenfree.htm

Elise87 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 12

Oh dear, so it's not as simple as i thought lol Thank-u

i have been told to replace the gluten in the flour you can add Xanthum Gum? has any body tried this?

costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 12

That thickens it some, but it still won't be the same!

Elise87 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #6 of 12

Gee that's dissapointing icon_sad.gif

and thank-you for your help again icon_smile.gif

alanaj Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #7 of 12

I have a really popular vegan cupcake cookbook and they have a gluten free recipe in it that mixes several types of flours, such as quinoa flour, corn or almond flour, tapioca flour, and white rice flour. I haven't tried it yet but this book has gotten tons of rave reviews so maybe it's a magical combination? You could alter the flavor depending on the extracts you use if you like the texture. Let me know if you'd like the recipe and I'll pm it to you.

nelikate Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 12

Welcome to the Gulten free gang!

Ive been on a GF diet since October last year and find experimenting both fun and frustrating.

Orgran flours work best with Orgran receipes - you can get receipes on their website. www . orgran . com or buy Ruby M Brown's cakes, muffins & loaves cookbook.

FG Roberts flours are a great alternative if you do not want to mix your own flour. I use these if I want to subsitute from a normal receipe. However it is trial and error with cakes and such.

Sue Shepard's books showcase so really yummy meals and list a number of alternatives for mixing your own flours.

If I am in a rush to make a cake I use the Basco packet mixes - My non GF friends love these cakes, they are not too sweet and not to grainy. The grainy taste comes from the almond meal used in some products.

Oh and for everyday cooking - read the labels on normal supermarket products before heading to the Gluten free section - often normal products are GF without the pricetag. Coles has a great GF section in their health foods department and IGA supermarkets will often get in something if you ask.

Enjoy!

Nel

Elise87 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #9 of 12

wow since October, fortunately i am only on this diet for 2 months so i am just trying to find something to hold me until i can go back to cooking normally. I feel sorry for people who have this tolerance permanently, just makes it that little bit more difficult.

Oh and i was thinking about trying the Basco packet mixes today, i don't know why i didn't think of it earlier! That's good they are not too sweet too.

Do the packet mixes or scratch cakes rise that much?

thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

nelikate Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Do the packet mixes or scratch cakes rise that much?

I use 2 packet mixes for a 9" tin because they dont rise as much. But at $3.59 a packet this isnt too bad. You may find you have to cook the cake a bit longer but thats the fun of trial & error in cake making - you can still eat the mistakes icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and if you want to make cupcakes dont buy the cupcake mix use the cake mix - it works the same and you get heaps more cupcakes.

It gets easier to manage as you go but I miss donuts!

Nel

ceshell Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:17am
post #11 of 12

AllRecipes has a recipe for a GF yellow cake that tastes EXACTLY like normal cake, except perhaps for a lack of buttery flavor (well, it doesn't use any butter!) I combat that by using caramel for the filling and IMBC for icing. Served it to a group of 30 partygoers, nobody had a clue that it was GF. Another CCer did not have the same success with the recipe and all I can think is that the type of flour DOES indeed make a difference. A reviewer on AllRecipes said you must use Thai Rice Flour to get good results, and soak the flour in the recipe's liquids for 10 minutes first. I have always used Thai rice flour for the recipe and have never had a problem. And by the way I don't experiment much (and I am not gluten-intolerant; this was for a friend)...I soooooo did not want to take the first taste! I couldn't believe it was GOOD when I tried it. I finished off the sample! thumbs_up.gif

There is also a recipe for the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake - GF version - which tastes like normal cake. It uses a mixture of tapioca flour, potato starch and...I forget what else. I think the yellow cake uses Xanthan gum but this one doesn't. I baked that one for a party too, and used ganache to pump up the chocolate taste...still, nobody had a clue that it was GF.

So...the point is, for cakes there are definitely good solutions if you can't find a mix you like. However I couldn't get a GF chocolate chip cookie recipe to work. They puffed up beautifully in the oven, but the second they came out they collapsed to completely flat. They tasted good but were sugary-chewy, almost like you had no flour in them (imagine that!), and you could definitely detect that kind of graininess mentioned above.

Lisaa1996 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:47am
post #12 of 12

I just saw that Betty Crocker has put out GF cake mixes in my grocery store too! I used doctored recipes and make cakes for my niece who has Celiac's. I usually use Bob's (?) Red Mill (I think it's called) chocolate cake mix which is really good, but I think I may try the BC for a change. If you use mixes, maybe you could try these. I saw them in yellow and chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%