What Can You Use To Make Your Own Molds For Poured Sugar.???

Sugar Work By Birdlady Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm by Cake-Girl1968

Birdlady Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 10

HI All.

I have to make a 25" round disc, sort of like a plate, but I need to have a form for the poured sugar. I know that you can use silicone, too expensive. I am really trying to not spend too much more money on this project.
I have read on line that you can use plasticene. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can email me if that helps. [email protected]

9 replies
misabel99 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 10

I read that some people buy tha Amazing mold Putty at Michaels in the craft section to make the molds for poured sugar HTH.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 10

If the disc will be completely flat then you can just get aluminum foil, form it around a plate, then remove the plate and cover the foil with PAM, Baker's Joy or other non-stick spray, cook your sugar and pour it into your foil mold.

mrspriss0912 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 10

I use metal cookie cutters to mold my poured sugar Or the foil trick works well too!

cabecakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 10

Depending upon the size of disk you need, couldn't you just grease a cake pan and pour your sugar in it. I would just take a butter knife or something and go around the edge and pull the edge in slightly to make sure it is easier to get out of the pan. I don't know if you need it to have sloped edges or not, but if you just need a flat disk that is what I would do.

cabecakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry, didn't see it had to be 25". Cake pans wont' work.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 10

The pan would work also. It doesn't have to be a cake pan, it can be any pan. Or probably anything round, as long as it can stand the heat and you spray it with PAM or Baker's Joy. I haven't seen any replys back from Birdlady, so she may have already figured out what to do.

CrankyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 10

you could use the ring from a cheese cake pan or if you can find a plastic pipe big enough.

kincaellan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 10

plasticine will melt into the sugar.
find a food safe neoprene supplier in your area. gasket company etc.
it's super cheap and you can just cut out a 25" circle with an exacto knife


Cake-Girl1968 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 10

We used some sculptey last night and worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%