Developing A Cake Decorating Class

Decorating By whatsittoya Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 9:35pm by whatsittoya

whatsittoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatsittoya Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 7

I have the opportunity to develop and instruct a cake decorating class for a Parks and Recreation Program. It would be 1 night a week, 2 hours for 5 consecutive weeks.

I have the basic outline of a syllabus including what I think should be taught. But........

I want ANYONE'S opinion as to what you think should be taught. Keep in mind it would be beginners.

My thought would be to hit upon buttercream decorating, royal icing decorating and a little fondant work.

All input will be appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Pat

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 7

I took several Wilton classes which were great for learning how to pipe flowers and use fondant and gumpaste. However, I never learned how to ice a cake perfectly smooth (until I found Cake Central). So I think you should definitely include icing a cake into your syllabus as well as how to put fondant on a cake.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

Hi Pat....

I have taught several cake decorating classes. While I am sure there are those on here with more experience than I, I thought I would put my two cents worth in...My classed were for a Park/Rec program too...

I started the students out with some gumpaste flowers...We spent time making them, then setting them aside to set. From there we went on to the basics of buttercream icing. Next, they crumb coated a small six inch cake, and we finished up on our flowers. From there, they practiced, the iced the cake. They did a basic border, and put the flowers on that they made.
That was beginners....

I went on to a more advanced things with gumpaste, the borders etc....
I HTH! Brownie.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7

i teach 6 wks. several times a year at a technical school here. this will be my second year. i make up a class of buttercream, royal icing. and intro to fondant. the students really like that. a little of all that.. not just b/c hth.. i teach wilton at michaels couple nites a week also. but as you know. that is different courses. so at the technical school .. i just combine as much as i can in the 6 wks. 3 hrs on a sat. don,t just have to teach wilton there. can take them on into other things.. i love to do that

whatsittoya Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 7

icer101.....does Wilton know you teach outside of Michaels?

Not trying to sound rude...or too nosy...I just have a friend that wanted to help me with this class....I guess she asked her manager and she was told she couldn't do both. So I'm on my own.

whatsittoya Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

No one else have any input here?

What would you like to have taught if you could choose?

whatsittoya Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 7

162 views....

3 responses.......HUGE THANKS TO YOU THREE!!!
thumbsdown.gif

NO thanks to the rest of ya.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%