Other Flowers In Buttercream??

Decorating By tigerhawk83 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm by tigerhawk83

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 7

I'm really turning out some decent roses for a beginner - am starting to look at other flowers made on the flower nail. However the directions for mums, daisies, etc all start out with stiff ROYAL icing. Now I can make royal icing and have worked with it before, but is there any reason that I couldn't use stiff buttercream for these other flowers instead of royal icing - buttercream just tastes better. I would do them the same way as the roses - make them the day before, let them dry out overnight, and put on the cake.

Is my thinking right or wrong on this?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

I use BC for everything.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

your way of thinking is correct. i make b/c flowers of all kinds .. roland winbeckler has a great book on beautiful buttercream flowers.. it is not expensive.. linda reese has a cd on beautiful buttercream flowers and landscape. she is great also. hth

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 7

and other vids of hers are great. hth

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

I'm really turning out some decent roses for a beginner - am starting to look at other flowers made on the flower nail. However the directions for mums, daisies, etc all start out with stiff ROYAL icing. Now I can make royal icing and have worked with it before, but is there any reason that I couldn't use stiff buttercream for these other flowers instead of royal icing - buttercream just tastes better. I would do them the same way as the roses - make them the day before, let them dry out overnight, and put on the cake.

Is my thinking right or wrong on this?

I don't do a lot of buttercream any more...mostly gum paste....but yes you can pipe almot any floewr in buttercream. If you want to attach them to wires, royal is still the better choice, but for flower placed right on the cake, BC is fine.

I use to make lots of roses and other flowers for cakes and air dried them for about 3 days....that way they could be picked up and handled...even cascaded down the sides of a cake tier.

The buttercream I usedm for flowers is 1 1/2 cups shortening, 1/2 cup plain flour, 2 pounds powdered sugar and 1/3 cup near boiling water. [This icing will keep for months]

Mix all ingredients on low until smooth and let rest a few hours. The hot water smoothes the icing so that you do not get ragged edges on your petals.

Pipe your flowers and air dry 2-3 day....that way you can make flowers on the weekend and have a supply on hand all week.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 7

Yes, I too use buttercream for all of my flowers.

This is a cake I did where I dried the flowers over night and placed on the cake. When you do this, the flowers become very light weight and you can almost suspend them in mid air. When you are ready to serve the cake, the flowers are just crusty on the outside but still very soft on the inside.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305088

....I also make most of my buttercream flowers directly on the cake...as with these Irises.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=860403

The taste is sooo much better than royal icing.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all - I have some new flower tips coming and can't wait to try them out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%