Thank Goodness It Was A "test" Cake

Decorating By tigerhawk83 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm by kelleym

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

Am testing cake recipes, and decided to try the old fashioned chocolate mayonnaise cake - always loved it as a kid; moist, chocolately with just a little cocoa powder. Anyway, after baking and turning it out of the pan, I realized it was WAY too soft for torting or anything. So rather that breaking the good buttercream out of the freezer, I decided to use the frosting recipe that accompanied it in the church cookbook I used. BIG MISTAKE - must have been some sort of typo in the recipe because I ended up with the greasiest, nastiest frosting I've ever seen. Tried to put it on the cake, but it tasted SOOO bad, that I scraped it all off, put it in a plastic bag, and threw it away - there was no salvaging it. icon_eek.gif The cake itself tastes just fine, but glad I wasn't planning to take this one anywhere - we'll just eat the plain cake at home

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 4

Gotta love testing stuff and giving yourself plenty of extra time when you do have an order. Geez I hate that feelin in you gut when you're rushing an order and lost in the tall dark weeds.

I had a friend wanted me to do a groom's cake with her. She goes we'll get together Thursday (for a Saturday reception) Aghhh suddenly I was too busy to 'help out' after all. icon_biggrin.gif

hey was that a cooked icing? I'm wondering because if it's the one I'm thinking of, the mixture has to be stone cold--not warm at all for it too work. I could be in left field though.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 4

no it wasn't a cooked icing - had 1 cup scalded evaporated milk, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 stick butter, and 1 cup powdered sugar - I don't think there was enough sugar - this is where I think there was a typo in the original recipe. anyway - won't use that one again!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 4

I think the "1 cup" powdered sugar should have been "1 lb". Yikes. icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%