How To Get This Look?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm by DianeLM

KristyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 11

This cupcake image was forwarded to me and I have no idea where it's from. Any ideas on how this design is made? To me, it looks like the flower vine is pressed down into the fondant. Maye it's dipped in poured fondant and then a fondant vine is pressed in before it sets? My customer wants a 6" fondant cake with this specific flower style. I think it looks so nice dented in a little, but don't know if I'll get the same effect. TIA!
LL

10 replies
enoid Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 11

I can't help you with the technique, but it sure is pretty. Good luck.

all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 11

I've no ideas other than what you already mentioned.

That sure is a pretty cupcake!

Cakeonista Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 11

Looks like the fondant stem was just gently pushed into the fondant while the fondant is still soft. I would try a cupcake and see if it works out. Doesn't seem too difficult.

icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #5 of 11

i agree with mariu.. very pretty and very simple

KristyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 11

So, I'm going to cover the cake in Satin Ice and then add this flower detail. Do you think it will look bad? I think the beauty of it comes alot from the depression. I just don't see that I can do this with regular fondant. Thoughts? Thank you so much!

delosa Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 11

It looks to me like they made a impression with a foundant tool and then added the design and gently press it so it wouldn't get smashed. I think if the just pushed the design into the foundant it would be more flat. By using a tool to make the depression, it allows the design to look more 3-d

SimplyM Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 11

I think it looks well on the round top of the cupcake. Have you considered not leveling the 6 in cake?

KristyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 11

Very good ideas! Thank you! And, I can't believe it, but I actually just found the artist of this cupcake in Flickr. What luck! It's from Sugar Bloom Cupcakes (www.sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com). Just beautiful.

Sicilian Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 11

I just came across a method that showed this the other evening on the Internet when I couldn't sleep icon_mad.gif Unfortunately, I can't remember where...but the main idea was to roll out the bottom fondant layer and lay the design you want on top and then gently roll over both layers. It's something I plan on trying because the end results are quite good.

DianeLM Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 11

Could be the stem/vine were made ahead and allowed to harden a bit so when they were pressed into the fondant, they wouldn't lose their shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%