Dry Cake

Decorating By walker1229 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:34am by xstitcher

walker1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walker1229 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 4

So I made my sons birthday cake a few months ago and the cake was really dry, I am guessing its from taking it in and out of the fridge a lot when decorating it or something because that recipie normally is very moist. I had read in a book that some decoratores coat the cake with a syrup before the frosting to help it keep moist, is that normal? What kind of syrup do you use or is there something else I can do to prevent this?
Crystal

3 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:45am
post #2 of 4

I think your thinking of simple syrup. It's made with equal parts sugar and water. You want to boil it in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved let it cool and then brush it on the cake.

Putting cakes in the fridge actually dry out the cakes (as you suspected) so unless there are perishable fillings or something in the cake there is no need to refrigerate. You can always wrap well and freeze the cake if you do not need to decorate it right away.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:21am
post #3 of 4

Some cakes will dry out with time, be it on the counter or in the fridge.
One way how to avoid it is to fill the cake and crumbcoat it - make it thin, even layer of buttercream. After this, the layer of buttercream will seal the cake and it won't dry out.
You need to remember - "naked" cake needs to be covered - be it in buttercream or plastic wrap. If you need to leave the unfilled and/or uncovered cake for some time, easiest is to put it in plastic bag - freezer bag or even clean trash bag.

But I cannot imagine a crumbcoated, possibly covered in fondant cake drying out only because it was in and out of fridge.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:34am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka_ze

Some cakes will dry out with time, be it on the counter or in the fridge.
One way how to avoid it is to fill the cake and crumbcoat it - make it thin, even layer of buttercream. After this, the layer of buttercream will seal the cake and it won't dry out.
You need to remember - "naked" cake needs to be covered - be it in buttercream or plastic wrap. If you need to leave the unfilled and/or uncovered cake for some time, easiest is to put it in plastic bag - freezer bag or even clean trash bag.

But I cannot imagine a crumbcoated, possibly covered in fondant cake drying out only because it was in and out of fridge.

What she said!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%