Red Velvet Boxed Mix

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 2:09am by BlakesCakes

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 9

A friend told me about this. Duncan Hines makes it. She's going to Buffalo/Niagara Falls this weekend and said she'd grab me a couple of boxes to try it out.

Anyone tried this stuff? Is it any good?

Never had red velvet cake, so have no idea how it tastes. The first time I even heard of it was in the movie "Steel Magnolias" - the groom's cake was a giant armadillo made from red velvet. (Actually, I think that was the first time I'd heard of a 'groom's cake', too. So sheltered. So very sheltered.)

8 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

I use this one all the time. And, although it's not a real "chocolatey" type of cake, I add some melted semi sweet chocolate to the finished mix. Everyone seems to love it. Beware, the dust from the mix will leave you with red counters...

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 9

I use the same one and have had no problems with it, not too fond of red velvet cake, but does not taste to bad at all, pretty good.

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 9

whenever I get a request for red velvet this is the only one I use I make all others from scratch not this one though It is one of my most popular flavors.

Kerri

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyCakes

I use this one all the time. And, although it's not a real "chocolatey" type of cake, I add some melted semi sweet chocolate to the finished mix. Everyone seems to love it. Beware, the dust from the mix will leave you with red counters...

Thanks for the warning, Kristy. I'll be sure to use my KA on low until it's all mixed together.

If my friend does manage to go "border hopping" this weekend, and gets me some mix, I'll have to experiment on the family - like they'll complain. icon_rolleyes.gif

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 9

You'll get it with the KA, too. Unless I'm just a horrible mess maker... (which is likely the case!) icon_smile.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 9

I think it's a thing of where you are. Here in SC, red velvet is a HUGE staple. The "chocolaty" velvet (dark red with cocoa) is not popular as popular as I've seen it more in other areas of US and more of that scratch super red goodness with fresh pecans and cream cheese is what I've always had majority of my life with the neon food coloring added icon_razz.gif Yummy!!!! But that box cake tastes pretty good to me!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyCakes

You'll get it with the KA, too. Unless I'm just a horrible mess maker... (which is likely the case!) icon_smile.gif

I've got some nice big tea towels that I drape over the machine while it's mixing anything powdered. Helps keep the powder from drifting out.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #9 of 9

I use the DH Red Velvet mix. I doctor it up quite a bit--and it's great.

You can find the recipe in the recipe section here on CC. It's called Red Velvet Redux.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%