Hello From A Uk Newbie In Need Of Some Canadian Info.....

Decorating By poomagoo Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 7:28am by aine2

poomagoo Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

My name is Angela and I have a cake obsession icon_biggrin.gif. I started a course in Cake Decorating back in September 2006 and haven't looked back since. I do the odd cake for family every now and then and have been a member of the British Sugar.craft Guild for the last 2 years. Thanks to Aine2 for pointing me in the direction of this forum.

My husband and I are emigrating from the UK to Barrie, Ontario in 7 weeks time icon_eek.gif. Crikey its coming around soon and we have so much to do. Sadly it means I haven't been able to do much cake work over the summer as everything was boxed up whilst we sold our house but I am really looking forward to getting back into it once we are settled in Canada.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and see if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding out about any cake meetings or courses that are run in the Barrie or Greater Toronto Area? And any there any other users on here from that area?

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
poo xx

11 replies
antonia74 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome to our country...well, soon anyway! thumbs_up.gif

Check out this great new school and supply shop. Lisa has big-name celebrity cake designers teaching there! I just took the two-day class with Elisa Strauss of www.confetticakes.com and it was amazing. She's just east of Toronto....

poomagoo Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 12

Oooo, lucky you. I love Elisa Strauss. She's super talented. I believe our very own Aine2 from the BSG is teaching at Flour Confections next year. Just might have to sign myself up for that as Lorraine is lovely and great to watch demonstrating. I see you've just PM'd me thumbs_up.gif.

Mme_K Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 12

Welcome to Canada! (soon)

You might want to check out McCall's:

It's west of Toronto, but they do have a variety of courses that you might be interested in. They also have the store and a warehouse outlet.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with the move. thumbs_up.gif

AverageMom Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 12

Welcome to Canada! Unfortunately, I have no help for you, since I live in the northern region of the country (Yukon), and I have NO cake supply stores near me.

dsilvest Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 12

www.goldaskitchen.com - west of Toronto

www.mccalls.ca - west of Toronto

L & M bakery supply - Steeles Ave? North York

www.creativecutters.com - Richmond Hill

www.flourconfections.ca - east of Toronto

Lots of stock and choices. Prices vary from shop to shop.

Caike Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 12

Welcome! Hope you love Barrie as much as we love Ottawa! icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #8 of 12

Welcome to Canadaicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I'm in Vancouver so can't comment on any courses in Barrie but wanted to say hallow anyways - Michaels (North American craft store chain) usually has cake decorating courses but they are usually the Wilton beginner courses - you sound like you already know what you are doingicon_smile.gif

poomagoo Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the warm welcome and info everyone. I can see I'm going to be spending quite a lot of time on here.

sugarpiecakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 12

and my Grandad came to Canada from Wales after starting a family in Chester. Barrie is around an hour and a half from Toronto on a busy highway that is almost impossible to drive on on Fridays and Sundays during the cottage seasons.
It is a lovely area - it has all the shops that Toronto has, but 1/8 of the people and 5 times the manners (I can say this because I was raised in Toronto). There are a couple of cake shops in Barrie and one of them teaches classes- cakesbydesignbarrie.com
Also there are Wilton classes at Michaels (a craft superstore). There aren't many cake supply options - I get most of my supplies at either Michaels or Bulk Barn - they are in the same plaza in the South end of Barrie.
pm me if you have any specific questions!
Hope all this helps
and good luck on the move,

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 12

Welcome to Canada...soon thumbs_up.gif

I am located in the west..Alberta...but If I can help you out and give advice..I'd love too!!

Laurel icon_wink.gif

aine2 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:28am
post #12 of 12

I TOLD you you'd get replies now didn't I! icon_lol.gif This is an extremely helpful site Angela so you will be well looked after. Maybe I'll see you in Ontario next year or Vancouver in 2011! A bit of a way off but it will be here before I know it! Enjoy your time on this site. It's a whole new world. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%