1,2,3,4 Cake Help, Too Dry And Crumbly

Decorating By hollyberry91 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 13

Hey ya'll, I wasn't sure which forum to post this in but I have made the 1,2,3,4 cake recipe that is on the back of my cake flour box and it ends up dry and really crumbly each time. I've tried adding a tablespoon of sour cream and i didn't really notice a difference. I've also tried it without the yolks with whites only as well. I would like to find a way to make it more moist and fluffy. Any suggestions? What would happen if i added some vegetable oil? My cakes mix cakes are always so moist so im thinking vegetable oil may be the reason but im hesitant to try it. Thanks icon_razz.gif

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 13

i usually use paula deens 1234 cake recipe. it is good. don,t overcook. there is some on this site also. hth

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 13

I am having the same problem with that exact same recipe!!! I can't wait to hear the advice of CCers. The top skin of the cake is nice and moist but the inside is drier. I also noticed that after serving this cake, it dried out faster (leftover cake). I thought about veg oil too. I wonder if a simple sugar wash over the cake would increase the moistness???

I just made the chocolate cake that's also on the box and while it's great for carving, I found it a little dry. I am searching for a scratch comp to the Darn Good Chocolate Cake. Of course, then there's "why mess with a (darn) good thing?"...

hollyberry91 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 13

I looked up Paula's 1234 recipe and it was similar to mine the only difference was that her's uses self rising so it doesn't have the baking powder and salt that my recipe has. I read the reviews for her's and some people said that they increased the milk so maybe i should try that with mine as well? Still kinda curious what would happen if i added vegetable oil?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydid

I am having the same problem with that exact same recipe!!! I can't wait to hear the advice of CCers. The top skin of the cake is nice and moist but the inside is drier.

If you do an internet search about this cake, you will find this is a common complaint about this recipe. It is a typical home recipe that is easy to remember and that's why it is so popular....but it is just not good.

Try my cake recipe instead:

Vanilla Cake

Combine a stick of butter and 1 cup whole milk in a small saucepan and heat just until butter melts. Remove from heat and set aside.

Grease and flour two 8 inch layer pans or a 9 x 13 pan [I line my pans with waxed or parchment paper then spray with PAM for baking].

Preheat oven to 325 F.

In mixer bowl, combine 5 large room temperature eggs and 2 cups sugar. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla.

Mix on low to combine, then beat at high speed for 5 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.

While eggs and sugar are mixing, measure out 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour and 2 teaspoons baking powder. Use a whisk to blend the baking powder into the flour well

When the 5 minutes are up, turn the mixer to its lowest speed and add the flour all at once. Mix on low until combined, scraping bowl constantly to mix all ingredients.

Add the butter/milk mixture and mix on low until well combined...scraping bowl constantly. Pour into pans and bake until cakes spring back lightly when touched near the center.

Cool in pans 5 minutes, then remove and wrap completely in plastic wrap until ready to use.

BakerInHeels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerInHeels Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:17am
post #6 of 13

I have the same exact problem with that cake. It always sticks to the pan no matter how much Crisco and flour I use. I hate that recipe, I just never use it anymore.

hollyberry91 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 13

Thanks! I'll try that vanilla cake recipe! Just curious though, why do you heat the butter and add it last instead of creaming it in the beginning? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry91

Thanks! I'll try that vanilla cake recipe! Just curious though, why do you heat the butter and add it last instead of creaming it in the beginning? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

This recipe is a variant of a sponge cake....but is leavened both with the beaten eggs and baking powder......the cake is very good!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 13

Jeff, would you mind telling us the texture? can it handle being under fondant? Thanks it looks good and am interested in the adding melting of butter too!

ETA

can I do that in the microwave?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #10 of 13

How about you substitute mayo for half the butter?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 13

hollyberry, have you tried this recipe yet?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Jeff, would you mind telling us the texture? can it handle being under fondant? Thanks it looks good and am interested in the adding melting of butter too!

ETA

can I do that in the microwave?

The texture is very fine grained and quite moist. I cover it with buttercream as well as fondant with no problems.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you Jeff! I'll use it for a castle cake then. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%