Is This Done Freehand Or By Impression Mat?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:01am by tonedna

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 9

The swiss dot pattern, is this done freehand with a special tip and/or using a mat/guide?

I want the dots to be pretty much exact around the cake.

Thanks

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 9

It can be done either way. I think it's Earlene Moor who has a mat for sale....maybe others . I usually just eyeball it, freehand.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 9

There are mats that allow you to make the indentations perfect. I didn't want to purchase one, so I created the same effect by making a template and simply put a pinprick in each of the cross sections. I laid it on the side of the cake and went back over each of the tiny holes with another prick from a toothpick. When I removed the template, I had perfect markings and only had to go back over them with the round frosting tip for the dots.

The impression mat to which I refer is about 2/3 of the way down on the page I linked:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/store/impression_tools.html

HTH!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It can be done either way. I think it's Earlene Moor who has a mat for sale....maybe others . I usually just eyeball it, freehand.

thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 9

I usually do them freehanded. If you are good with your eye measurement is easy. Is a good way to train
yourself.
Edna icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 9

I haven't tried this yet, but I would think about using a triangle with inches (and/or cm) (from a math/drafting kit) to start. Mark the distance between each row at the top (or bottom) then you can use the triangle to measure and mark the dot placement with a toothpick.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

Is there a tip for this specifically? Or, do you just use the 2 or 3 tip to make they dots?

I looked at erlene's website, but I didn't see a mat for the swiss dots, only the single dots. Unless I missed it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 9

You can make your own, using a piece of glass from a picture frame and royal icing. On the black and pink cake in my photo's I piped the design onto a piece of glass in the royal icing and let it dry. After icing the cake, if using buttercream let it crust, you think press the glass against the side of the cake and it will leave the impression behind.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #9 of 9

I use tip #2 for the swiss dots
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%