I Give Up!!

Decorating By victoriacakery Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:38am by BeeBoos-8599_

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 10

I have gone through 3 full sheets of 1/2 foam core trying to get a 14" circle. My cuts always end up with ragged edges or the foam interior is shredded. I have used utility knifes w/brand new blades, Exacto knife w/ new blades. Even my sharpest kitchen knifes to no avail!!
What do you all use to make different shaped cakeboards. I can cut straight lines without a problem. But am pretty bored with sguares and rectangles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 10

Cut it out then sand it off with sand paper.

I use steak knives.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 10

I hate cutting and covering boards. It's not worth the savings, time or headache. I now buy them form brboxshop.com. They are cheap, cheap, cheap there...drawback is the minimums.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 10

Hi victoriacakery,

I get my boards and drums from logicpic.com....they are foam core and very nice. Not too pricy either.

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your advice. After posting, I found another post from earlier today that had really good ideas for tools. I should have known I could find what I need from all you CCers.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacakery

I have gone through 3 full sheets of 1/2 foam core trying to get a 14" circle. My cuts always end up with ragged edges or the foam interior is shredded. I have used utility knifes w/brand new blades, Exacto knife w/ new blades. Even my sharpest kitchen knifes to no avail!!
What do you all use to make different shaped cakeboards. I can cut straight lines without a problem. But am pretty bored with sguares and rectangles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Take my advise...visit www.misterart.com, look up the LION-EV-R-ROUND cutter, buy it plus the extension arm and you won't have any more problems. Also buy an extra box of blades....foam core dulls them fast...but you get 400 in a box and they're only a few dollars.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I hate cutting and covering boards. It's not worth the savings, time or headache. I now buy them form brboxshop.com. They are cheap, cheap, cheap there...drawback is the minimums.

I can't get brboxshop.com to open....is this the correct URL?

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the 411! Mich appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 10

Jeff- That is totally cool!
I lucked out. I recently went to a garage sale that a man who had a catering business was holding and got a HUGE zippered container full of 4-6-8-9-10-12-14" rounds. I think I am good for a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%