Baking In A Wonder Mold

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 4:37am by jlynnw

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 11

My DD wants a Princess Peach cake (from the Mario line of crap) for her b'day cake next month. (This is also why I needed the info on the hot pink fondant before.)

So, today I sent DH to Michaels', with the 50% off coupon, to get it. (Why pay $30 when $15 is so much nicer?)

The instructions say it takes 4 1/2 to 6 cups of batter (love how close they are in their measurements - not), and to 'level while in the pan'. I have never had a cake get high enough in the pan to level it there. Is there some trick to it? Should I make a WASC to add some volume? Would that be too much and it would overflow?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 11

I use a regular box cake mix and add the extender recipe to it..It gives you enough to fill the wondermold 2/3 full and yes..It tends to dome but I level it after it comes out of the oven.

here is the extender....

1 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar granulated
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1/2 oil

Add this in after you have mixed the box mix..It will give you and extra cup and a half of batter.HTH

Laurel icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks, Laurel. That's good to know.

So many times I've been this close to getting a proper pan measurement, only to have to make more mix and bake an extra cake (not that the family complained).

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 11

I love this extender because like you said..you don't have to bust open another mix and that means money....I am not crazy about it with the chocolate fudge though as it really lightens the chocolate mix too much..but it works great for white,cherry chip,rainbow etc...I also like to put a splash of vanilla in for a little more flavor.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe for a choc/fudge cake, reduce the granulated sugar and add cocoa powder? Would that work?

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 11

I haven't mastered that yet..I've tried the cocoa but it doesn't seem to get the mix that almost black fudge color..so I end up opening another mix but I usually bake cupcakes with it for other orders since I do alot of cupcake cakes.They is never any waste..

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 11

i use an extender recipe in my wonder mold pan.. after it cools a littel .. i level it then . let cool little more. then flip on my board i have wraped with saran wrap. so it won,t stick.. and comes off easy when i get ready to decorate. there are some great chocolate extender recipes on this site.. that people have experimented with. cakepro.. i think.. kakeladi.. different ones. and the chocoate ones are really good and tasty and moist and stable enough for carving and for the wonder mold, etc. hth

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

Thanks, icer101. I'll check the recipe section for your suggestions as well. I'm sure she'll want choc cake.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #9 of 11

on baking in the pan, what did I do wrong. I did the cake with the extender, all mix, and from scratch. The cake did not cook in the middle. I baked it at 350 and then tried 325 as well. The outside did great and tested done. I trimmed it to find the center was not done. icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif I baked the one cake nearly and hour and a half. I ended up just making graduated layers and carving. icon_cry.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:42am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

on baking in the pan, what did I do wrong. I did the cake with the extender, all mix, and from scratch. The cake did not cook in the middle. I baked it at 350 and then tried 325 as well. The outside did great and tested done. I trimmed it to find the center was not done. icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif I baked the one cake nearly and hour and a half. I ended up just making graduated layers and carving. icon_cry.gif

Did you use the heating core/post which fits in the center of the wondermold?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 11

yes, I did use the heating stick. I still have not a clue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%