Help!!! How Do I Make Black And A Dark Red Buttercream!

Decorating By LadyAlmuina Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 1:10am by LadyAlmuina

LadyAlmuina Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 5

Ok this is really hard... icon_cry.gif I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!!! I can't get that Red I'm looking for like lets say Candy Apple Red, and The same with Black.... The Black looks grey.... icon_biggrin.gif I don't get it!

Please help! Thanks guys!

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 5

What brand of colors are you using?? Wilton requires almost.. if not all of the bottle to get a dark black and red.Try using Americolor Super Black and Supr Red....or chefmaster is also good.I have never had a hard time getting black or red from Americolor.

kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 5

The only thing you are doing wrong is not starting early enough. These colors are they hardest ones to come up with. Each needs to be made at least 12-24 hrs ahead of wanting to use it.

For red: start by coloring your icing orange, deep pink, or even yellow. Get that as dark/deep as you can. Now add AmeriColor super red gel and let it sit as stated above. OR if the icing can take flavoring use any red KoolAid powder (UNsweetened). About 1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 cup of any of the above mentioned colors.

For black: save all the little dibs and dabs of leftover icing from any project. All colors. Mix them together - usually you'll end up w/an ugly camo green/dark tan. Now add AmeriColor super black gel. Let sit. Don't worry about it being just a charchole gray. It will darken as it is exposed to the air.
Another, somewhat quicker way is to add UNsweet cocoa powder (Hershey's or similar) to any dark previousely made color - dk green, blue, even orange icon_smile.gif Keep adding the cocoa until you get the shade you want - or slightly lighter. You made need to add some liquid to thin it down as the cocoa thickens the b'cream.

LadyAlmuina Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #4 of 5

Great tips and advice!

Thank you again!

LadyAlmuina Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #5 of 5

Great tips and advice!

Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%