Buttercream

Decorating By conb Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm by conb

conb  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone else just do buttercream icing on cakes? I want to become more creative, but people I usually bake for only request buttercream. Not sure if they even are familiar with fondant. How can I become more creative without using fondant. Any suggestions are welcome. icon_confused.gif

7 replies
 brincess_b  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 8

rolled buttercream could be something to try out.
offer free ugrades - like extra flowers if they are done in fondant - of course, that costs you money, so you need to weigh it up.
have a look at some of the lambeth style cakes, they are mighty impressive, and care usually done with ri, but could be done with bc.
xx

conb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

Thank you! I looked at some of the lambeth style cakes and they are beautiful. This will take some practice, icon_smile.gif but worth trying. This method is definitely creative.

all4cake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 8

There's figure piping, brush embroidery, ooooooh, raised or puff embroidery, buttercream transfers...oodles of things to do with buttercream only....

conb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 8

Thank you. I want to take my skills to another level. icon_smile.gif

all4cake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 8

Not knowing what your level is now, I didn't know what to suggest so I suggested things that are utilized in every level with buttercream. What's to another level?

Lambeth is definitely a most beautiful technique to use on a cake when done properly (I don't have the patience for it but love it when I see it!). Wouldn't you have to charge a pretty penny for the cakes you use it on?

You could condition your customers to fondant by slowly incorporating elements into the design....letting them know up front, of course.

I plan on trying this one in b/c
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325128

SugarFrosted  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 8

All buttercream all the time for me. I have considered trying fondant (I even purchased a bunch of supplies, but have never used them) and have asked my clients their preference, and they always say "no thanks" to the fondant.

I do a lot of freehand art on cakes, so the most important thing to me is to make sure the icing is smooth to give me a perfect canvas.

Expand your ability to make different buttercream flowers. Roland Winbeckler has a great book of all buttercream flowers.

Pattern presses can be used on crusted buttercream for a different texture. Airbrush can add a new dimension

Try different techniques to apply artwork. Brush Embroidery is gorgeous and something I'd like to try. Experiment with different writing styles.

Buttercream is a true art form. Be proud! thumbs_up.gif

conb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8

All4cake you're right about the lambeth style cake and it would take me alot of practice. My decorating skills are limited because rarely do I go out of my comfort zone. I'm not an artist, but my DH is and if needed he will draw freehand on my cakes. Thanks SugarFrosted I guess I was just stressing because when I look at some of the other cakes on this site I always wonder if I will be able to create such beautiful cakes with only buttercream. Thanks guys for the suggestions I just have to practice on my creativity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%