I Made Glow In The Dark Icing!!

Decorating By Lisa540 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm by mjk350

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 9

I am so excited! I finally did it! Just wanted to share with you all how I did it. (thanks to a cake contest show for the inspiration!)
It will glow under a black light.

I used clear piping gel. Heated that in a sauce pan. Added tonic water (the ingrediant that will make it glow) I used this for slime on a Ghostbusters cake so I used enough tonic water to make it very thin. I added my coloring at this point. After heating it very well I added plain gelatin. Let it set for 2 hours and it was thick enough to spoon over the cake for slime.
The possibilities are endless. I made another batch later on that was thicker. Like the piping gel that wilton makes. A side note tho, the slime appeared to "eat" the fondant after a few hours. It is something that you want to wait to put on.

I loved doing this cake. It was a mess but so fun. The boys loved it!

I couldn't attach a photo so here is the link for the Ghostbusters cake I posted today. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1454532

8 replies
micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

Wow!! fantastic idea...and cake icon_smile.gif

kristyokronley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyokronley Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 9

Your cake is awesome! Thanks for sharing your discovery. With Halloween come up the ideas are swarming in my head! How fun. Can't wait to try it!!!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

that is really cool! good job on the cake!

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 9

Just in time for some awesome Halloween cakes! Thanks for the inspiration!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 9

Great Job!!

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 9

Wow! So cool! I saw Mary Maher do that and wondered how it worked. Thanks SO much for posting all the info. I can't wait to try it! icon_smile.gif

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 9

I tried to do that for a quinceanera cake I did yesterday and it didn't work for me. I only used the piping gel and the tonic water. I guess it needs the gelatin. I will try it like that next time though.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 9

Your cake looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing this idea. thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%