Aspiring Cake Decorator - Where To Start??

Business By Acacia Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:45am by minicuppie

Acacia Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 10

hello guys, glad i stumbled upon this great site!
I am a teen, soon finsihing highschool and would LOVE to pursue a career in cake decorating! However, I'm not sure where to start.. what degrees do i need, experience, etc? Should I go to culinary school, take classes..? I've been asking some people in the business how they got where they are today and it certainly helped - please feel free to share your story!
Also, how is the pay? I really have no idea..

p.s. I live in Canada!

Thank you everybody, Please help!

9 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC, the greatest place for everything cake!

I'd recommend taking some Wilton classes. This will familiarize you with the different tools and techniques and give you an idea if you really really want to dive into his.

Pay? If you start your own business, then know that the first rule is the owner gets paid last! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Seriously, when you have a good pricing structure and a good marketing plan, it can be a good business.

Read everything in the Business Forum. It's a plethora of good info!

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 10

Hi from Montreal! Take some classes, buy some books/dvds and make sure you want to do it. As Indydebi said, it can be a good business. I do it only part time for now until I can open shop, and you do give a lot of your weekend time away.

-AndSheBakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 10

From what I've read on this forum a couple of basic business or accounting classes would not hurt either. It's definitely something to consider if you are heading off to college.

Best of Luck!

tonedna Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 10

I started with Wilton. Is simple and inexpensive..And I have gone so far with such a basic start!
Edna icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 10

A good place to start is in the forum search section, where you will find at least 30 other threads asking this same question. You'll find some really great advice already posted there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 10

Hi, from Hamilton!

I took the Wilton classes thru Mohawk College. My instructor was brilliant!

Can't give much info since I'm less than a year from my first course, but good luck!

Tell us where in Canada you're from?

xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:52am
post #8 of 10

Michaels is just one of the places that offers Wilton classes in Canada and I think it would be an excellent place for you to start. If you go to the following link just enter in your Postal Code and to find the closest place to you that offers Wilton classes.

Welcome to CC!

Rylan Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:35am
post #9 of 10

Hi Acacia,

I'm glad to know that there a lot of young teens like you who getting into cake decorating. I personally suggest you check out some books, Youtube videos and keep reading threads in here.

Good luck on your journey.

minicuppie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:45am
post #10 of 10

Whatever your chosen path, it never hurts to have some college hours under your belt. Take some nite classes, whatever. Some community colleges have food safety courses...most every HD will require that at least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%