Pots De Creme

Baking By nannie Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm by 7yyrt

nannie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone ever made these?

I found the attached recipe on Pioneer Woman and my question is:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/05/easy-delicious-and-yes-elegant-pots-de-creme/

How are the egg yolks safe to eat? Is it adding the hot coffee that cooks them?

Just can't figure it out.

Thanks

7 replies
mixinvixen Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 8

i made these quite some time back, but honestly don't remember much about the recipe...mine was from paula deen.

the only thing i remember is that it is pronounced "po da crim"...trust me! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif

nannie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 8

thanks, vixen

were they good?

mixinvixen Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 8

they were good, but not what i had my taste buds set up for..ya know. totally my fault.

from memory, they were like a congealed hot chocolate.

nannie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 8

I might give them a try then, on a cold winter night,

thanks again

7yyrt Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 8

If you worry about eating uncooked eggs (you aren't alone), you could use Eggbeaters or pasteurized eggs.
It mentions further down the page:
For those worried about the unccoked eggs, you can bring the PDCâs to temperature by pouring the creme into heat proof containers and bake them about 30 minutes in a water bath. (Time depends on the size of container. Teacups or coffee cups work well.)
What? Put your PDCâs in the bathtub? Well, sort of. Instead of putting the cups directly into the oven, put them into a shallow baking pan and fill 1/2 way up their sides with hot water. Cover tops of pots with foil. Bake at 300 for about 30 minutes till the creme jiggles only just slightly. The eggs slowly cook, staying creamy and velvety soft. Remove from oven with tongs, remove foil, cool, and chill, covered with plastic wrap.
---
Reply 155 has a slightly different recipe that heats the eggs to a safe temperature...
Reply 219 has egg substitute suggestions...
Reply 284 has a âchocolate-coffee-creamâ âpunchâ recipe...
Reply 321 has a coffee Jello recipe...
Reply 398 has a recipe that cooks the eggs...
-----------

nannie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 8

thank you 7yyrt

I didn't scroll down to the comments icon_redface.gif

I was so flumoxed by the idea of the uncooked eggs.......... you hear so much about salmonella these days.

I appreciate your help so much icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 8

chuckle - I probably have more time than you, I've been retired for quite some time.

Uncooked eggs even from my own ladies, will only be one or two days old. Any older and they must be cooked through.
The frequency of problems is quite low, but I figure there's no point taking chances.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%