Why Can't I Make My Stinkin' Icing Red?

Decorating By MissCathcart Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm by aundron

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 19

I've bought 4 different Wilton reds, and can never get the red I want to achieve. Has anyone every gotten their icing Raspberry Red? Mine always turns out some gawd awful sick deep pink. Everyone here is so smart, I know someone must have the trick that would make my year. I'm willing to buy a different brand, and it can be liquid, paste or powder. Please help this moron.

18 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

I've bought 4 different Wilton reds, and can never get the red I want to achieve. Has anyone every gotten their icing Raspberry Red? Mine always turns out some gawd awful sick deep pink. Everyone here is so smart, I know someone must have the trick that would make my year. I'm willing to buy a different brand, and it can be liquid, paste or powder. Please help this moron.

Try Americolor or Chefmaster. Wilton red just never seems to get RED.

I used powdered CK color in my Red Velvet cupcakes today, and it came out a gorgeous rich red right away. You could try playing with that, too.

Also, Americolor, Chefmaster, etc. come in bottles that you can squeeze a drop out from, rather than having to use the toothpick method Wilton has.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Try Americolor or Chefmaster. Wilton red just never seems to get RED.

I used powdered CK color in my Red Velvet cupcakes today, and it came out a gorgeous rich red right away. You could try playing with that, too.

Also, Americolor, Chefmaster, etc. come in bottles that you can squeeze a drop out from, rather than having to use the toothpick method Wilton has.

What's "CK"?

varika Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

powdered CK color

What's "CK"?

Sorry, it's a brand name. My caking store carries it over with the chocolate-molding stuff, but it can be used for anything foodable. The store carries a variety of CK products, including piping gel, meringue powder, flavorings, etc.

MissCathcart Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for helping. I've always wanted to try the liquid. I'm going to look for all 3 suggestions. Does CK have a website?

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 19

You can get a nice deep red using any gel color (Wilton is my least favorite though.) Add some cocoa to your icing and then add the red gel. Works everytime! (also great for black)

varika Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:

Does CK have a website?

http://www.ckproducts.com/

They're a wholesaler, though. It does have a link for "find a retailer," at least! icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 19

I like the cocoa idea, nice tip Mark! But I agree, Americolor is fantastic. I have a Grinch cake I made last year - the red was a SNAP with the Americolor. Bright red from the beginning, with only a little color (I suppose I could have made it a richer color if I'd added more, but I was happy with the effect I achieved with only a little). Good luck!

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 19

No Taste Red by Wilton works for me without fail. It does take quite a bit at time, but depends on how much frosting you need to be red.

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 19

I always start out with a pink icing and then add Americolor Super red to it, then let it set for alittle while. I usually get a very true red that way. You can see it on the Strawberry Shortcake cake in mypics. HTH

MissCathcart Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 19

Using cocoa sounds easy. I do use it for black. You've convinced me to get Americolor Super Red. With Christmas coming up, I just couldn't face making pink Santas. Thanks

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 19

I've mixed Wilton and Americolor. I've found that the longer you let it sit, the deeper the color gets.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 19

Use the powdered coloring! I tried and tried and couldn't get a batch red (small tiny amounts yes but not a whole batch) until I used the CK powder. See my elmo cake, it was a deep red that I needed and it worked wonderfully!

MissCathcart Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 19

Oh, now I'm in a dither about which one to get. I've always wanted to try powder, but I love the idea of using drops instead of toothpicks. Maybe I'll buy both.

varika Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:

Oh, now I'm in a dither about which one to get. I've always wanted to try powder, but I love the idea of using drops instead of toothpicks. Maybe I'll buy both.

Well, the powder doesn't even stain your fingers, and you can measure it with a measuring spoon and note how much it took precisely. I like both, really.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 19

For CK retail website try www.countrykitchensweetarts.com

smithsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smithsm Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #17 of 19

I have only tried the Wilton No Taste red. It took a whole jar to get the shade I was looking for. It is the Mickey Mouse cake in my pictures. icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 19

IMO chefmaster is the best for red and black. Use very little, no waiting to intensify, no adding other colors, no bad taste.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #19 of 19

I always start out with Americolor orange first; then I add the Americolor Super Red.

When I'm feeling super lazy (99.9% of the time icon_lol.gif ), I will buy red icing from my local cake supply shop!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%