Need A Great Tasting Milk Free Cake Recipe!

Baking By Tiffany29 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 10:42am by brincess_b

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I am having a little trouble with the new recipe layout. I'm really not liking the way you can't search for what you want... icon_sad.gif . My FIL's b-day is on thurs. and I want to make him a cake. He is allergic to milk. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a great tasting scratch cake recipe I could use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

9 replies
maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 10

Can't help you with scratch recipes that don't include milk, but Duncan Hines cake mixes do not contain any lactose/milk product at all.

Tiffany29 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 10

Oh, I didn't know that! The reason I was going to use a scratch recipe is because he's also a diabetic and I was going to use splenda. But I think the boxed mix should be fine. Thanks for the help maisy!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 10

I have just been put on a non lactose diet and instead of milk i use 'Rice Milk' on like my cereal etc but havn't made a cake with it yet so not sure if there a taste difference but it is lactose free, dairy free and gluten free so maybe you could try that instead of normal milk

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 10

There is a book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It is great.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 10

I use rice milk for almost all of my cakes and it is fine. Soy milk works pretty well also.

Watch out with using Splenda instead of sugar. The sugar adds not only sweetness, but structure. Splenda for Baking does that, but just plain Splenda does not. In every cake I made just using Splenda, the cake came out very flat and super, super dense.

Splenda for baking is half sugar so not all diabetics can use it.

Duncan Hines is indeed dairy free, but it is full of sugar. Not diabetic friendly.

Tiffany29 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #7 of 10

I knew this would be challenging! icon_lol.gif Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate everyone's input. icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 10

I don't recall which brand it is that has them, but there are a series of cake mixes that are "sugar free, made with Splenda" out, and they're fairly good. I don't know if they're lactose-free, though.

Also do be careful, because even if you've used Splenda to bake with, the cake will still contain carbs, and those can have issues for diabetics, too. Make sure your FIL isn't taking 1/4 of the cake at a time!

Tiffany29 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 10

He isn't! icon_lol.gif He really watches what he eats. I really feel bad that he can't have his fav, choc mayonaise cake!! He'll be happy to have anything I make as long as his diet allows.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:42am
post #10 of 10

victoria sponge http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/victoriaspongewithst_90309.shtml is a great cake. not sure how it works with something like splenda though.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%