Need Some Recipe Help Please!!

Baking By Steelgoddess Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm by Steelgoddess

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

Firstly please excuse me if i have posted this in the wrong section...

I am making a two tiered cake, one will be chocolate, the other will be yellow cake. Both to be covered in fondant.

Im looking for a really good recipe for both cakes (chocolate and yellow cake (is yellow cake what you call victoria sponge? sorry im from uk)).

Also good buttercream recipes for both, one vanilla one chocolate...

Help MOST appreciated, i knwo there are recipes on the site but unsure which one is the best tried and tested!!

Thnkz thumbs_up.gif

P.s just realised i posted this in wrong section of the forum, sorry mods! icon_redface.gif

6 replies
JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #2 of 7

I would go with the Amazing Chocolate WASC cake recipe from this site, it is very good and easy. The only thing I change is instead of using instant espresso mixed with water, I just brew strong coffee and use it in place of water. For the yellow cake, you can use the White Almond Sour Cream cake reciep from this site and sub yellow cake mix and a butter flavored extract for the almond extract. These recipes are easy and versatil and always come out perfect.

For the buttercream, I like the Crusting Buttercream Icing (Viva method) from this site because it is not to sweet and its easy to smooth to cover the cakes with fondant. I wouldn't bother witha chocolate version for the chocolate cake, I would cover them all with one flaor of buttercream. JMHO

Steelgoddess Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:47am
post #3 of 7

Thnx Jenna thats really helpful
xx thumbs_up.gif

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 7

www.smittenkitchen.com has a really good sour cream chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. I've made it and it is delicious.

Steelgoddess Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

whats the diff between regular chocolate cake and sour cream ones??

x

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 7

The ones with sour cream are more dense for stacking, carving and covering in fondant.

Steelgoddess Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks jenna, and ladies thats so helpful!!
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%