20 Quart Mixer Recommendations

Business By itsacake Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm by Mencked

itsacake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 16

I need to start looking for a 20 quart mixer. I'm thinking probably a Hobart or a Univex. I like that you don't have to turn either of these off to change speeds.

The Univex has variable speed. The Hobart has 3 speeds. New, the Hobart is much more expensive. Even used a Hobart is usually listed for somewhat more than the Univex. Do you think Hobart is worth the extra expense?

I've been using a Univex lately and it seems fine. I used a Hobart in the past and don't remember any problems. Does anyone who has used both have an opinion as to which is better and why?

Anyone want to suggest something else?

Thanks for your help...

15 replies
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 16

Hobart is really the "gold standard" for mixers. They go and go and go. There's a good reason the used ones are still pricey. Because they go and go and go.

|
|
V
siggy

Loucinda Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 16

I don't know about the Univex, but I own a 20 qt. Hobart, and I LOVE it. I know IF it ever does break, there are plenty of spare parts readily available for it too.

itsacake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks Leah and Loucinda.

I do know that the Hobart is what everyone aspires to. Good to know the two of you think their reputation is well-deserved.

Loucinda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 16

itsa - watch for restaurant auctions - sometimes you can get a good deal on a used one. Mine is not new and it is a work horse. Sometimes the older ones are even made better than the new ones are.

itsacake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks! I've been looking at Craigslist and have seen a couple in the $2000.00 range but there is an auction next week that has 3 re-conditioned ones complete with warranty. I have a conflict and can go early and inspect but not stay for the bidding but my husband may be able to go for me. Any idea what a maximum bid ought to be? A brand new one looks like it is $4700.00 at best.

Loucinda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 16

I wish I could give you an answer for how much, it all depends of what condition it is in, what area you are in......what you are willing to bid, lots of variables.

kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 16

I've got a Hobart--found a deal. Don't get a hurry or you'll pay more than you have to.

itsacake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 16

Kansaslaura, Which Hobart did you get? What kind of deal? How much did you spend?

Loucinda, I know you are right. I will just have to see if I can go and see. I could tell my husband to see what the first one goes for and if there is a way to not go over the maximum I've decided on, he can go for one of the next ones.

Motta Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 16

What's a good price for a 20 qt Hobart? there's one for sale that I know of for $1450 - not sure how old it is.

leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 16

That's right at what I paid for mine.

|
|
V
Help me win. Anyone can vote!

DecorateMe Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:08am
post #12 of 16

I am looking at a 1 phase (instead of 3-phase) hobart mixer, and wanted to know how many kilos/pounds of fondant you can mix in it.

Thanks
S

Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 16

I have a stage one - but I don't make fondant in it....sorry no help for you there. The stage three requires a lot more electric - make sure you have that available or talk to your electrician before getting that one.

Mencked Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 16

kansaslaura is so right--don't get in a hurry--keep checking craigslist. I found my Hobart for $250--I am not kidding!!!! It is wonderful--works and works and works. It's certainly not new but I wanted it for function, not beauty icon_smile.gif! Here's the thread that has a picture of it. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=644621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15 That $250 price included the mixer, a bowl, a whisk and a dough hook. I found a paddle on ebay, got a minor repair done to it (seal) and I was in business!!

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #15 of 16

Mencked, I just looked at the picture of the two mixers side by side...lol...makes the KA look like a mini. "I wanna be Hobart when I grow up" lol

Mencked Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 16

I know! Isn't that funny! I can't believe I used to do everything with that one little baby mixer icon_smile.gif!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%