Making Red Fondant

Decorating By Amylou Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 1:19am by MORSELSBYMARK

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 8

I have had no luck finding red fondant (satin ice) and don't want to order and pay shipping...plus I have to make roses and want to get started.

I have a 5lb tub of white, and am wondering what the best way to make it red would be. I have red coloring both in powder and paste (Americolor).

What would be the easiest way?
- knead by hand small portions with paste to get base color, then w/ powder and then knead all together.

- use kitchenaid w/ dough hook, small portions then add together

- make marshmellow from scratch and add color in prior while mixture is more liquified

I will need white as well, so I will probably end up making MMF anyway.

Thanks for any tips!

7 replies
Amylou Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 8

bumpity bump bump icon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

I always buy my red since I find it impossible to make it purely red by adding color.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 8

I suggest making MMF and adding Americolor Super Red to the melted mm before adding ps. No kneading required! Just a couple generous squirts is all it needs. The color will deepen overnight.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 8

Make MMF, but substitute 1/2 c sugar with cocoa. Add your red to the melted marshmallow mix, you will get a true red. This is a trick I picked up in pastry class and works well for black too!

Amylou Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 8

Thank you Mark...I did that and made 2 batches; the first one I added the 1/2 cup and it looks to be really deep, almost brick red. The second I added about 1/8 and it looks more of a basic red. I'll see more tomorrow after I let it rest. I'll probably end up adding some of the first batch to the second.

That technique worked out really easily! Thanks!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #7 of 8

I'm so glad to learn this! Mark -- how would you make red if you used a purchased white fondant? I assume you can use the same technique with buttercream?

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 8

Buttercream yes, but plain white fondant doesn't work well. It's better to get it to a deep pink/light red then airbrush it if possible. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%