Last Minute Cake!

Decorating By SarahEvans Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 4:12am by StaceyCakes75

SarahEvans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahEvans Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 7

A friend told me this morning she wanted a cake for her daughters birthday party...TOMORROW at 3! It should be okay since it is only a 10" round with 2 layers. She wants it covered in fondant and her daughter wants high school musical. I have never even seen that movie! I asked her daughter if there was anything she would like on her cake and she said she didn't care so no help there. I looked at some ideas on here and I guess just a basketball, a mic, maybe some pom poms, and music notes....I dunno. So I came home and had nothing I needed at all so had to go to the store. I just made my MMF and I used the slternative MMF recipe on here and it says it has to sit over night...GREAT! So my questions are....

1. Will it still be fine if it doesn't sit overnight? Whats the purpose for that?
2. I have a music note stencil but it is not big enough to wrap all the way around, which is what I want to do and I would like to make it a chocolate ribbon like the video on here but I don't think I can get it wrapped around my cake and make it mold there.
3. My fondant pieces, such as bball and mic etc., how much in advance should I make them and let them harden some or do I even have to?

Thanks sooo much!!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 7

2. do the ribbon on a piece of acetate (overhead transparency type film) that is long enough to wrap around cake (make have to tape sections together) lay acetate over a print out of pattern that matches circumference of cake and do the chocolate work. While still soft enough to bend, yet stiff enough to hold shape, wrap around cake.

3. if just going to be cut out and slapped onto side -- no real need to harden. only if going to stick on wires or sticks/dowels then at least 24 hours depending on local weather conditions, esp. humidity.

-----

ps-- re: HSM -- well, let's just say it is SO sweet it makes buttercream taste sour!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 7

It's easy to pipe music notes w/b'cream. Yes, you can use b'c on fondant.
I hope you are charging the last minute order price for this! That really is a tall order for such a late request.
I believe it's the MMF you are saying needs to sit overnight.....a few hrs is plenty usually.
You should have already made your fondant pieces. Overnight drying is plenty there.

SarahEvans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahEvans Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the help guys! One more question...if I covered my cake in fondant tonight would it dry out by tomorrow at 3? I don't want the fondant or the cake to be dry at all.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 7

Your cake will be fine if you cover it tonight and they eat it tomorrow after 3pm. You'll have to post a pic when you're done!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #6 of 7

Just for future reference, fondant is wonderful for keeping cakes moist for several days. It provides a great protective barrier.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 7

in my experience I have had a very hard time getting MMF to harden. I suggest you use some tylose or gum paste. Thats my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%