I'm So Upset. I Can't Believe I Charge $15. For This Cake =[

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm by RachieRach

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 10

My neighbor asked me to make her a Baby Shower for her ex- Daughter- in - Law. And she asked me, How much I would charge. Nice of me .. icon_cry.gif I need a BIG KICK, I said $15,00. What you think.. Here it the cake. It's a 8x3. Butter Cake with Simple Syrup, Cover with Almond Buttercream and Fondant Details... icon_sad.gif How much you would have charged... Thanks for looking and your responds. have a Good day thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

Good grief, I think I'm more upset with you, than you are. I'd actually like to kick your butt.

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 10

i cant find the cake . there is no picture?????

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 10

I can't find it either but let me say this; I've done the exact same thing. We have to learn from these cake price disasters and just move on to the next. I did a shower cake too and charged only $20 for it. I saw a similiar cake a few weeks later at a cake shoppe and it was $125.
Don't kick yourself, you'll only feel worse. Everything is always a learning experience, especially in the beginning. Your cakes are beautiful by the way.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 10

an 8" round gives 24 (wedding sized) servings, according to wiltons chart.
so i make that about 62 cents a serving! most people charge a minimum of $2 a serving for a bc cake (more with fondant accents) and even that is cheap ($48 for this cake). i doubt you even coverd your own immediate costs!
and i take it it is the price rather than appearance of the cake you are kicking your self over? and probably, you will kick your own bum better than any of us can!
if you cant pull a price out of, um, your head right away, its perfectly ok to say, 'i need to look at my price sheet, and get back to you'
just treat this as a learning experience!
xx

miasuzzette Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 10

It wouldn't upload, So, I just uploaded in My Pictures, It's the one with the Baby Carriage, Baby Shoe, Hand & Finger Prints... Thank You..

To Mensch, I just want to say, Thank you so much for that Good Laugh... thumbs_up.gif I needed that And I felt the Kick, It hurted. thumbs_up.gif Thank you... icon_biggrin.gif

Margie

miasuzzette Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for your Positive inputs. I just need to find an Updated Price Chart. You all have a Good Afternoon... thumbs_up.gif It's the 2nd one. On My Cake Pictures. Let me know, What You would charge. Again, Thank You.... icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 10

Figure out what you have in ingredients, cake boards, boxes, decorations, etc. then what you want to charge for your time, and don't forget to figure in the oven, dishwasher, electricity, water, soap etc. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 10

I think if you had given HER $15 so she could buy a cake at the grocery, you'd be money ahead! icon_surprised.gif

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Good grief, I think I'm more upset with you, than you are. I'd actually like to kick your butt.

Okay I am literally rolling on the floor laughing my ass off Mensch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%