Anyone Ever Do A Handbell Cookie?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 12:28am by bbmom

HeidiCrumbs Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 5

Like the ones that churches have at Christmas services?

I got a request for two dozen and am not quite sure how to do it. I Googled actual handbells and they aren't that pretty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

4 replies
linedancer Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

I have never done any, but here are a couple of links for the cutters:

http://www.handbellworld.com/equip/equipPiece.cfm?Piece=6256

http://cookiecutter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3844

I do know that the handles are almost always black, and the bells are brass. That said, me, being a fondant gal, would cut the handles out of black fondant, attach to cookie.

Color some fondant golden yellow, cut the bell and attach to cookie.

I would also make a clapper (ball of fondant, golden yellow) and attach over the fondant where the clapper is indicated.

At this point, I would consider embossing the bell with an appropriate patchwork cutter. I know that real hand bells are not usually embossed or engraved, but this is a cookie and it would give it some interest.

I would dust all of the golden yellow fondant with gold luster dust.

Then, I would have some fun..are they for Christmas or for a special event?? If Christmas, I would make some holly leaves and berries out of fondant and attach where the handle and bell meet, also covering that seam. If for a special event, maybe a ribbon, either real or from fondant attached in the same place.

I would also consider "painting" some sort of design on the handle with gold luster dust.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head, HTH and sorry for the book.

One other thought, they ALWAYS wear white gloves, while playing hand bells. You might want to throw that idea out as a counterpoint to the hand bell cookies.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 5

What a great response!! Thanks for all of your thoughts on the handbells. I'm a RI girl myself so I would go that route. The lady who ordered them is, if I'm being honest, older than dirt, and is taking them to their practice session next week. So unfourtunatly it's not for Christmas because it would be fun to decorate them. She wants the bottom dark, the handle light and black music notes iced on the bell part. Kind of wierd and I'm actually wondering how much of it she'll actually remember, but I'll do as she asks since she's the customer, lol!! I was thinking instead of doing just a few notes on the bell part have an actual line of music going across just to dress it up. I hope they turn out well, I'm kind of worried.

cinderspritzer Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 5

you'll do fine, be confident! icon_smile.gif

bbmom Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 5

It sounds like she gave you plenty of direction, so I'd just do as the customer asked. I've seen your work and I'm sure they'll be really great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%