Mmf - 1St Try (Smooth But Not Pliable?)

Decorating By MalibuBakinBarbie Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone out there can help/guide me with my MMF.

I made my very 1st batch ever of fondant. I usually use IMBC, but I have my SIL's baby shower next Saturday. It's 3 hrs away from my home, and I think the cake design would look lovely in fondant. So I made MMF from a recipe on this site. The ingredients are: 16 oz Jar Fluff, 2 tsp Flavorings, 6-8 cups 10x Sugar. I did not use all 8 cups of sugar (probably have about 1.0-1.5 cups left over). I mixed the fluff and flavorings until smooth, and added sugar 2 cups at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon. After 6 cups of sugar I only added sprinkles at a time. I could barely stir it anymore at this point, so I turned it out on a large, lightly greased (as instructed), marble slab that I use for candy making.

When I began the kneeding process, it came together very nice and smooth. However, I don't know if it's pliable enough. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think I was probably kneeding for about 20 minutes or so. If I try to stretch pieces of it with my hands, it breaks pretty quickly. (It does not stretch out long at all.) It is only just a little sticky at this point. I now have it wrapped in plastic wrap, in a zip lock bag and in a plastic container to "rest".

My questions are:
1. Is something wrong with it?
2. What could I have done wrong?
3. Will the elasticity "develop" as it sits overnight?
4. Is there something I should do/add to make it more elastic?

(And any other ideas/suggestions are of course welcome!) icon_smile.gif

Thank you all very much for taking the time to try and help me!

Enjoy your weekend!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 6

I usually use the marshmallows instead of the fluff, because if I'm right the marshmallows have gelatin and the fluff doesn't. So I haven't got any experience with the recpie that you're using....

but MMF doesn't stretch out like a piece of chewing gum, if that's the kind of stretch you're looking for. If you can roll it out like a piece of pie crust and then pick it up without it ripping apart, then it's the right texture.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, Texas_Rose! Having an idea of the consistency it should be when it's rolled out will definitely help me. I have time, maybe I'll try the recipe that calls for marshmallows, too. It apparently stores well, so I can choose my favorite for this cake and use the other for practicing new things. icon_smile.gif

saffronica Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I find it helpful to add a couple tablespoons of corn syrup to the melted marshmallows before mixing in the powdered sugar.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, saffronica! icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to post back that I started working with the MMF today. I found the recipe I used to be a bit on the sticky side (not sure if all MMF's are that way), even after adding and adding more PS. I then decided to add just a little SMIDGEN of tylose (and I mean a LITTLE) and it rolled out very nice. I still had to keep putting PS on the roller every couple rolls. But there were less tears and it rolled out smooth. This is my second time working with fondant (first time was 8 years ago and I used Wilton's ready made). And I must say that this has been nice to work with. Once I got the hang of it, that is!!! It tastes good, too! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%