Luster Dust On Royal Icing?

Baking By mrslevite Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm by mrslevite

mrslevite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslevite Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen cookies covered with fondant that was stenciled with luster dust before cutting to cover the cookies. I want to do this with star shaped cookies and am afraid I will misshape the cookies beyond being able to cover with the fondant cut outs (never worked with fondant and don't trust myself with the cookies or the fondant with so many points!). So I was thinking I could just do the regular outlining and flooding with royal icing and then stencil with the luster dust. But I've never worked with the luster dust and don't know how it will react with the royal icing. Help?

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 5

you can use dusts on the royal, once its set. shoud be a pretty similar look to the dust as you get on fondant i think.
you could also mix the dust with alcohol to paint it on.
xx

mrslevite Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!

And I was thinking, too, that I could just make a simple shaped cookie (maybe a circle) and then stencil stars on the fondant, cut the fondant and then put on the recut cookies. I'm not necessarily going for too fancy, just something that looks really nice, neat, well executed.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 5

you can also lay the fondant over the cookies when they're freshly baked, then re-cut the whole thing for the crisp lines and let it set for a while so the fondant can settle before doing your luster dust. if you give it time to settle and harden a little bit, it should be fine to lay a stencil over it, and as long as you don't press down it shouldn't make any imprints.

if you mix the luster dust with alcohol before painting, it will be very vividly colored, so if you only want the pearly glimmer, don't mix it with the alcohol.

mrslevite Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the luster dust. It should get here at just about the time I'll be ready and have time to play. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%