My First Cake - Ladybug - Any Tips?

Decorating By Rhiannon_Scarlett Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm by summersusu

Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 12

Hello!
I am about to attempt my first 'special' cake, I am going to make a ladybug for my daughters first birthday. Here is my plan - any tips, suggestions or corrections will be greatly appreciated!!

I am going to use the Wilton Soccer ball pan, with the Amazing Chocolate WASC cake recipe from this site. I think I might need to put a 'core' into the pan to make sure the cake cooks - someone suggested a clean can?

Then I plan to use chocolate ganache (good recipe anyone?) over the cake, and to fill in the soccer ball lines. Once that sets ( a few hours? overnight? ) I will cover it with fondant. Im planning on colouring it red (with wilton no taste red - Im going to need a lot of it yes?) Then for the head ( shaped cupcake?) & black dots I will use chocolate fondant coloured black (easiest way?)...

Am I on the right track?? Has anyone done this?

I am a totally inexperienced newbie but Im enthusiastic! icon_smile.gif Am I even making sense? icon_smile.gif TIA!!

11 replies
Rylan Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, Welcome to CC!

I think you are in the right track.

For ganache to ice the cake, use a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream. Remember to measure by weight.

Btw, I give you bonus points for doing the research.

Steelgoddess Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 12

Hey there, i don't have many tips im making my sons 1st birthday cake for his party too, its a bit nerve racking but have gotten started and so far everythings goign good...

best of luck theres so many creative ideas on this website
x

Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I am going to use the Wilton Soccer ball pan, with the Amazing Chocolate WASC cake recipe from this site. I think I might need to put a 'core' into the pan to make sure the cake cooks - someone suggested a clean can?

if bake at 325, might not need. many use a metal flower nail greased and placed in center for heating core. In this case will leave a dent in the top of the cake you'll have to fill with ganache

Quote:
Quote:

Then I plan to use chocolate ganache (good recipe anyone?) Once that sets ( a few hours? overnight? )

use best quality chocolate you can afford as per Rylan's note on ratio. (i like ghiradelli dark) and a few hours should be all it needs, tho', if working on cakes like I do, well it will be overnight as I get sleep after pouring on the ganache at 11pm

Quote:
Quote:

I will cover it with fondant. Im planning on colouring it red (with wilton no taste red - Im going to need a lot of it yes?)

if at all possible get Americolor Red -- much stronger, need less and much less bad taste. Otherwise, with Wilton -- yes, need a lot. Tho' I blend several of there reds to get a better red.

Quote:
Quote:

Then for the head ( shaped cupcake?)

great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

& black dots I will use chocolate fondant coloured black (easiest way?)...

sounds good (and yummy -- i'd be picking off the dots just for me!) easiest way depends upon size of dots -- large end of an icing tip - round fondant cutters (Wilton sells a set and can also use ones for poly clay work), or even different size biscuit cutters.

Quote:
Quote:

I am a totally inexperienced newbie but Im enthusiastic! icon_smile.gif Am I even making sense? icon_smile.gif TIA!!

could have fooled me! you've got a good solid plan.

only things left to say:
1) happy cakin'
2) POST PICTURES!

chefjulie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 12

I'll second the recommendation for Americolor Red! Get Super Red, if you can find it. You're still going to be adding A LOT of coloring.

If it were me, I'd get pre-colored Satin Ice fondant. I'm never able to get true red or black without killing the fondant :/

Good luck! Cant wait to see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 12

Ok - the cake is baked = perfect.
Covered in chocolate ganache = perfect.
MMF made - 3 batches, red, black & white = perfect.

I just have to cover in fondant tommorrow & decorate.

Is it ok to leave out on the bench (covered)? It wont get eaten until saturday afternoon... will it be ok?

Thank you all so much for the help & advise - I love CC!!

wondamamma Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 12

Hey wow! I am doing the same thing. I mostly do cupcakes but have been getting more requests from friends to do novelty cakes so I came on here for some tips!. I am making a ladybird cake next week (ladybug maybe, depending on where you live I suppose!). I was planning on using both halves of the Wilton sports ball pan (no lines on this one). I was going to cut one cake in half and the other in three (the middle piece being the largest of the three). I was then going to insert the larger piece between the two halves from the other cake to elongate the shape a bit. Then I was going to place this now beetle-shaped assembled cake on a sponge base to raise it a bit. Then, I suppose I would ganache it all together and smooth it off and leave to set, etc. I have the pre-coloured fondant all ready to roll out. Does this sound like it would work. I have been told to use madeira sponge as it takes the pressure of the the coatings better, is this true?

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 12

There are hundreds of adorable ladybugs in the galleries here! I looked through countless pages when I was making a ladybug cake a while back. Have fun! Sounds like you have it under control. I can't wait to see your ladybug! thumbs_up.gif

wondamamma I hope you won't have a hard time with all the pieces you plan on putting together. Have you done this before? It is not something I would try as it doesn't sound very stable. But I prefer solid layers of cake as I am not that experienced.

wondamamma Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 12

So finally, this is a photo of the first cake I ever made - I was very pleased with how it turned out. My friend's daughter was thrilled with it.

I am making a marching band drum next week and plan to make layers of round madeira with buttercream filling and fondant to cover and decorate. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a shiny finish on the fondant? I live in Ireland so don't have easy access to the same accessories and brands as most of you guys. I don't want to use laquer as I hear it leaves a bitter taste. Does steaming work?

Thanks in advance!!

e
LL

Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 12

For a first cake that's awesome! You have a great future!

wondamamma Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Kitagirl!

I guess I finally found something I like doing. This forum is amazing for getting tips and help - everyone has so many different ideas. icon_smile.gif

summersusu Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 12

I did the same thing for my nieces bday. I used the half ball of Wilton's and did not need a core. Cook at 325 and just watch it. I was too lazy to color the icing so I used Wilton's red already made. Here is my pic, I am still an amateur though. Sorry for the other jumbo mess, couldn't erase it though.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%