Mis En Place?

Decorating By pamconn Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 1:51am by snarkybaker

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I'm sure that I've not spelled that correctly, but those of you that do this will know what I mean.

I want to be more organized in the kitchen. How exactly does this work? Do you get out all of your ingrediants and then measure them into little bowls and then put your ingrediants away and then start using them in the order the recipe calls for?

How is this any different than just having your ingrediants all on the counter and just using them when the recipe calls for them?

6 replies
baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

You know how when your watchin Food Network and they have all the bowls with all the stuff in like 1 cup incriments? Thats basically what mis en place is, everything in place...I know what you mean as far as having everything on the counter ready to go but not the same thing...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 7

Because if everything is all premeasured before you start, and the phone rings in the middle of mixing, you don't have to stop and say, "Did I just add 1 pound of sugar or 2?" Or, " Did I already put the vanilla in there?"

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Because if everything is all premeasured before you start, and the phone rings in the middle of mixing, you don't have to stop and say, "Did I just add 1 pound of sugar or 2?" Or, " Did I already put the vanilla in there?"

sarcastic extension....

and having all those little bowls to clean justifies having the (dishwasher / hired help / etc.)

nah nah missed me with the rolling pin leah_s!

--------

unlike savory cooking that can be a pinch / a dash / to taste; baking is more chemistry -- and just like in chemistry -- get it all ready first and then have at it!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you. That makes sense. My daughter says that she wants to go to pastry school next year. I can't wait to see what I'll learn!

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7

The joke around school was that mis en place translated into mess in place - lots of extra clean up work.

But that said, if everything is premeasured then you know when you pop the cake in the oven and go to clean up all the little bowls that the vanilla you just found did NOT make it into the cake.

I do partial mis en place. I read the recipe and measure according to how it will be used - so flour, salt, BP e tc in one bowl, eggs on the counter counted out, liquids together in another bowl - get the idea...

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 7

Mis en Place is French for " Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%