Strawberry Filling Is Making My Cake Unstable

Decorating By cherry3 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 2:52am by Loucinda

cherry3 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 10

The last two times I have tried to use strawberry filling in my cake, it has made the cake unstable. The layers ended up sliding and then the cake leaned to a scary degree. Why is this happening? I put a layer of buttercream under the strawberry filling so that the cake won't get soggy. Maybe this has something to do with it?

9 replies
Rylan Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 10

I'm thinking of too much filling. Maybe a dam will help to secure everything.

vlk Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Cherry3

When I use "fruit" fillings - it is tricky (believe me... I have done some serious damage to a perfectly good cake)
Here are some things I have learned.

1- Make a dam with the buttercream icing (for me.. like a little swiming pool for the filling... lol)

2- only put the filling in the center of the "pool" not a big glob..but a nice amount that if spread will evenly coat the icing - cuz, once you place the top layer on the cake and let it settle the filling will spread and "fill up the pool" if you know what I mean. the sides of the pool need to be a little thick so the filling does not ooze out - but also... before you put the top layer cake on .. pop it back in the fridge to harden the icing a little.

3- also.. if the filling is too runny - you can heat it up on the stove and add a little corn starch to thicken (not too much learned that lesson... yuck !!)

Sometimes it is all in finding the filling that you can control - I have ones that I work with and ones that "I WOULD NEVER TRY AGAIN"... LOL....

HTH -

Vicki

Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 10

A trick I have learned is to first off make a stiff dam then take some of that stiff dam frosting and make an X in the middle of the cake - then fill the spaces between the X with the filling. No slippage at all EVER.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 10

Strawberry filling on top of buttercream is slippery. Usually if you don't put a layer of buttercream underneath, it won't be slippery.

Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 10

also, most fillings will not make the cake soggy so no need for the buttercream to seal the cake.

if anything the flavor of the filling will infuse the cake making it even more yummy

cherry3 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

These ideas have been real helpful. I, too always put buttercream on the bottom for the same reason -thinking that the filling would seeep into the cake-not realizing that it would be a good idea for it to seep into the cake-and I have had trouble with my top layer sliding. I really like the idea of the X in the middle. Thanks for all the tips.

jammjenks Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

A trick I have learned is to first off make a stiff dam then take some of that stiff dam frosting and make an X in the middle of the cake - then fill the spaces between the X with the filling. No slippage at all EVER.

Love this idea. I may use it from now on.,

Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #10 of 10

I always use this trick now, no matter what filling I am going to use (if it is a fruit one) k8memphis is the one who told me about it - I can't take the credit for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%