How Do I Make Chocolate Tiles/mosaic?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 11

How would I make these chocolate tiles? What can I color chocolate with? (I dont have easy access to candy melts, only Wilton gel colors)
How many days in advance can I make them?
TIA

10 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 11

If you can post a picture, it will make it easier to help you. Unfortunately, chocolate tiles will require using chocolate of some kind.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 11

i take it you just mean simple squares of chocolate?
to colour them, DO NOT use the wilton gels, thay are water based, and will cause problems. you need oil based or powder colours to colour chocolate.
i would line a tray, or just line my worktop, pour the chocolate. i forget ho to describe the chocolate, but basically almost but not quite set, then you can easily cut it, then leave to firm up totally.
oh, and probably you should temper the chocolate, so that it doesnt melt so easily when handled - but if you dont mind having to work fast, i wouldnt worry too much. maybe do a test batch and see how you get on. just i found that melting down chocolate and just reshaping, it melted much faster than the original bar.
you could make them ages in advace, just store somewhere cool and dry, and covered.
xx

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 11

icon_redface.gif I am sorry.. I totally misread your post.
brincess_b is absolutely correct in her advise.

luminajd Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 11

Duh, sorry. I thought I attached it
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1181969
So to get white tiles it is as simple as melting chocolate, spreading it thin on wax paper, and cutting out shapes? Sounds too good to be true icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 11

yup, that simple.
i wonder if you can get chocolate white colouring? just to make it white white, rather than cream?
xx

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 11

Would you consider making those tiles out of fondant 50/50 gumpaste instead? It might make it easier for you to color etc.

icon_smile.gif

luminajd Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 11

Nope, my coworkers dont like fondant, despite all the different recipes/flavorings I have tried.
Thanks for the replies, I will try and make my tiles this week and see how they go!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 11

I would tint my white chocolate with powdered color, then spread it in a thin layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment or silpat. Once set, take a little mallet to it and break it into your tiles.

brincess_b Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 11

rolled buttercream - i know you are going with chocolate, but maybe another time, that would be an option? not used it, but from what i gather, it can be used for cut out shapes... if i remember correctly!
let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif
xx

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 11

Wilton sells oil-based colours for use in chocolate. They also sell coloured chocolate (and so do many bulk food stores).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%